add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 Reset stuck at 82%..Help!

Grymatta
  • 15 days ago

Just got a new PC and started to Reset and wipe my old PC so I can donate it to family. I did a backup of files I wanted to keep and selected the full wipe/Reset on Windows 10. Got the message that it would take awhile, probably several hours. After about 6 hours, I noticed saw that the process was "Resetting PC 82%". I went to sleep since it was late and woke up expecting it to be finished. Instead I saw that the screen still read 82% (!). There had been no progress in 6 hours. It's been an additional 2 hours since I woke up and still no progress.

I don't think the Reset is going to finish and I think my only option is to manually power the PC off. I suspect maybe issues with the hard-drive..it had been making strange grinding sounds over the past several weeks. Is there any other option besides a manual shut-down at this point? I guess I can get a new HDD and try a new, clean install of Windows in the future using a thumbdrive or DVD.

Comments

• 15 days ago
  • 1 point

If the HDD is making grinding sounds replace it ASAP. Also, get an SSD if you can.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube