add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to add three additional case fans to the bottom of case?

HerroHerro15
  • 10 days ago

Hi everyone, please see my build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 ARGB Sync 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $189.99 @ Best Buy
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $89.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $138.49 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card -
Case In Win 101 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $124.99 @ Best Buy
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $108.78 @ Other World Computing
Case Fan Thermaltake Riing 14 LED Blue 51.15 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1377.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-22 14:55 EDT-0400

I'm looking to add three be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 120mm PWM White fans to the bottom of my case as intake fans. However, my current set up has all the fans slots on the motherboard being used. I'm completely new to this so I'm not sure if I have to plug these into the psu? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• 10 days ago
  • 2 points

Your best bet is probably a fan hub. You can use splitters to run a couple fans off of one fan header, but it's usually best to split to identical fans, and I don't know if it would be prudent to run 3 fans from one header - depends on the fan draw and the header rating, which you may or may not find in the mobo manual.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the recommendation. What I'm thinking of doing is getting two splitters since there are two fan headers at the bottom of the board. One splitter could be for the intake fans on the front of the case and the other splitter could be for the two new shadow wings fans. Quick question - does the motherboard know to set the fans at a lower speed so it doesn't use max power? Sorry I'm really new to building and adding parts to my PC so these might be really easy questions that I should know.

• 9 days ago
  • 2 points

I don't know if a typical motherboard would have active current limiting for the fan headers; from a little poking around, my guess is no.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube