add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pc wanted but have to convince parents

WellNowIWantAPC
  • 9 days ago

hello all, i am under the age of 16 and in the uk and i want to convince my parents to buy me a mid end pc

i have compiled a list of reasons you can view. (if youre wondering i am currently on an old hp laptop that took over 1 minutes and 30 seconds to boot today)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KmQ7WgTVYcAsa47KaRjAk3LKtytQTwRKN2KV7sDvVp8/edit?usp=sharing

it is a copy of the original document and it is not my responsibility if someone finds out your email address

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 5 points

Why won't they buy you a PC? Instead of just shooting in the dark and hoping you cover it you should focus on that instead.

• 9 days ago
  • -3 points

the reason they wont is because they bought me a sh**ty laptop 2 years ago with less than 4 gbs of ram that they think is sufficiency. they say it runs google so its usable ( barely ). keep in mind it was bad 2 years ago and can only run bloons tower defence at 40 fps

• 9 days ago
  • 6 points

Wants and Needs are very different things in times when paychecks and money can disappear without warning.

• 8 days ago
  • 3 points

This is not very convincing.

It will be used for other things than gaming. Having a decent computer gives me the liability to try out new things such as 3d modelling, music production, digital art, video editing, content creation and I might even find a way to make money on the side. I could do it by: Dropshipping, Arbitrage, and reselling other people's products.

Dropshipping won’t work, remove this. And not ‘liability’ the word is ability.

Also, just because you can... WILL you? If you aren’t then remove this, let’s be honest.

Building your own pc means that you get double the value of a prebuilt system. Say you bought a £1,000 “high end” system from amazon, well i can tell you now that i could build the exact same system or maybe better for £400 to £500.

Not exactly. 500 GBP gets you an I3 and a 570 on a good day. 1000 GBP will get you 1660 Ti and R52600. Again on a good day. Obviously everything else on the prebuilt will be sub par... but still.

have probably watched thousands of computer videos over the past few months and actually building one myself gives me experience to continue with my dream of being the “tech wizard of the house” and maybe even take up pc building as my full time job. Plus after building my first i can use my experiences to build a bigger and better one next

A) Tech Wizard of the house? B) tech wizard of the house? C) bigger/better PCs do not require much lots of experience unless it is a custom loop. D) PC Building as a full time job... Sorry, but getting a job like that is a rarity.

With the experience I could start flipping pc’s for cash. Say I buy a used desktop pc and put a higher end graphics card which has also been used. I could easily make a profit. Plus the more ignorant people these days care more about whether their system looks good. So I could easily move an old system into a more modern looking case with leds and sell it off for a profit.That cash can be used to pay back some of the money that has been speNt

I’ve tried. We’ve all tried with no success...

Sorry if I sounded condescending.

• 7 days ago
  • 2 points

This, very much so. The PC flipping is fanciful at best, the "tech wizard" is.... odd, the "PC building full time"... you covered them well. Plus, what Gilroar said; In these times, money is hard to come by, and in light of a highly likely incoming worldwide economic crash, a new gaming PC isn't needed.

• 8 days ago
  • 2 points

In the UK, starting at age 13, you are allowed to work part-time with a maximum of 12,500 GBP annually at 12 hours a week on school weeks and 25 during holidays (at 15, you can work 35 on holidays). Why convince your parents to buy you a PC when you can earn it yourself?

• 8 days ago
  • 3 points

To add to this, have a conversation, face to face, with your parents. The pre-conceived, shots-in-the-dark argument sounds condescending and conceited, to say the least. If I were your parent, you wouldn't be getting a computer unless you'd be the one paying for it, especially after reading that. My immediate thoughts include how ungrateful you sound to even own a computer in the first place, and how cockily you subvert your responsibilities by assuming it's your parents' duty to provide you with a more capable system that, frankly, you haven't demonstrated that you need for tangible reasons.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys for your help ive highlighted some of they key point to draw more attention to them and added a few more points.

Wish me luck!

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

I know it can be frustrating not having the newest and fastest hardware, but the best thing you can do before anything else is be grateful your parents bought you a computer at all, especially if your family isn't wealthy. I know it sounds cliche, but it's easy to forget or not be aware of how much our parents sacrifice for us and that they probably have a good reason (financial or otherwise) for not giving us everything we want. That's life!

What I would recommend is to do what I and many other teenagers did, which is get a summer job and save up your money. Whether that's getting a "real" job, mowing lawns or doing work for your parents, it's a great way to gain valuable experience, not to mention the dignity and reward of working for your first big toy and the great feeling of actually owning something for the first time.

In the meantime, believe it or not, there are lots of fantastic older and even some newer games that should run reasonably well on low-end systems (Old School Runescape, Terraria, the Half-Life series just to name a few of my personal favorites).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube