add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build questions !

jkitson28
  • 9 days ago

Hi,

I have looked at buying a pc for so so long, and I have finally decided to take the plunge, it is based off of the excellent intel gaming build (linked below), but with a few changes. I plan to overclock at some point but I just want it built and working before I worry about that! Also I am hoping this handles 1440p and 144hz gaming, the build says it doesn't but benchmarks I have seen seem to suggest it can?

My build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/jkitson28/saved/pQ8cTW

PCPartPicker Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/LTgXsY/excellent-intel-gamingstreaming-build

1. CPU I have brought the i5 9600kf because I saw it on amazon for £25 less than I have seen a 9600k and from what I could research, if you are buying a GPU they are exactly the same.

2. CPU cooler Same as the guide

3. Motherboard Same as the guide

4. Memory Slight change but just because I found some cheaper

5. Storage this is where my complete lack of knowledge shows I think, I changed to a m.2 nvme as their suggestions had low read/write speeds but the form factor of their suggestions are also very different, this has caused a compatibility note on my build. Any help and suggestions here would be greatly appreciated!

6. GPU I plan to buy an RTX 2070 super, I have seen quite a drastic price difference in these, are there any I should steer clear from or will most be ok? For example there is one here for £490:

https://www.ebuyer.com/973967-msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8gb-ventus-gp-oc-graphics-card-rtx-2070-super-ventus-gp-oc

1. Case: Again I feel like this is something I don't know much about, their suggested option is out of stock everywhere, I did a quick google and found the Phanteks Eclipse without the RGB but that also means it has one less fan, is this ok? I don't need fancy lights I just want a functional case that keeps everything safe and cool, any suggestions here would be great as well :)

2. Power Supply I actually found this PSU on amazon for £75 and picked it because it was cheaper? I don't know how much of an issue a PSU can give if it is over the wattage of the build?

Any advice on any part of the build would be greatly appreciated, all the research I can do wont match experience from people that have actually built these.

**edit, a weird formatting issue where the numbers change after my link, this isn't me being dumb, honest.

Thanks Joe

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 2 points

The part list is private...

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I have fixed that now thanks for pointing out!

• 9 days ago
  • 2 points

Which of these parts have you already bought? And I'd like to say the 500GB is pretty less amount of storage. Get a 2TB HDD along with it to store everything that is going to be on your PC. The compatibility notes are just saying that 1 of the SATA ports will be disabled. No big deal unless you planned on filling up all of them.

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Hi,

The only parts i have brought so far are the CPU and the RAM, the rest are in baskets ready to go based on peoples feedback. I will add a 2tb hdd likely the one from the build I am basing mind off thank you!

Parts and prices below CPU - I59600kf 177 RAM - 16gb 3200 RAM 69.98 Storage - Crucial 500gb m.2 nvme 58.6 Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S 53.67 Motherboard - gigabyte z390 109.99 PSU - Seasonic foxus 550w Gold 79.99 Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400 54.99

My main concern after doing some reading now is what 2070 super to buy but a general rule is the higher the boost clock the better?

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor -
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler £54.98 @ CCL Computers
Motherboard MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £109.98 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £69.97 @ Laptops Direct
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £67.48 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £54.78 @ Aria PC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card £497.99 @ Technextday
Case Thermaltake Versa J21 ATX Mid Tower Case £45.46 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £69.98 @ Currys PC World Business
Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan £8.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £997.59
Generated by PCPartPicker

This is what I have made up. So I have tweaked everything to something better for less, something better for marginally more or something way better for marginally more.

Since you said, you already have the CPU and RAM, I did not change that or the MoBo.

A word of caution, if you are going to use the case which I have recommended, the cooler will fit but just barely, there will be 2mm clearance on the top.

The SSD that I have prescribed is by WD, which is a more reputable company than Crucial, and it uses 3D NAND unlike Crucial, which uses QLC NAND. The long and short of which is that the WD one is better.

The Gigabyte GPU which I have recommended is way better than the Zotac one. It has 3 fans compared to 2 fans in the Zotac card, Higher boost clock(Though just marginally), and all of that at a cost of 5 more pounds.

The case I have recommended is cheaper than the one you chose, looks almost the same. It is also from a similar reputable company.

The corsair PSU is cheaper, has more wattage and is listed as B+ on the LTT Forums PSU Tier list. It is all that you will need and gives you extra headroom for overclocking and ensures you are never near capacity.

Till now I have only replaced some parts with another, the next section is all the new thing I have added:

I have added a value 2TB HDD. I have not chosen the cheaper Toshiba one because this one has 4 times the amount of cache. for 5 pounds, that is a lot of improvement.

The case I have prescribed has 1 fan inculded as the exhaust fan. This is great. The fans I am asking you to buy are some cheap PWM fans by Be Quiet! The MoBo has 5 fan slots for you to utilize. * 2 of the fans will go on the front panel * 1 will go on the left most side of the top panel * The included case fan will stay on the rear panel and work as exhaust I think this is enough airflow to keep the components cool, even during an OC.

I feel bad asking this, but are you, by any means able to replace the RAM? The RAM which you have chosen is the 3000MHz RAM, while the 3200MHz ones are only 4 more pounds and much better.

All I can say is that if you ever plan on doing a build again, don't look at the build guides, they are pretty terrible. I could point out a thousand errors in those. The biggest one being that it shouldn't even exist. During the current times, AMD is the CPU market dominator. The Intel stuff isn't worth the amount of price people are paying for it just yet.

If think you can change your stuff, this is more of what I would recommend

I hope I was of use to you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube