add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU Help for 2x GTX 770 SLI

Outt
  • 71 months ago

I'm looking to get a PSU for my friend considering his 650W won't push enough to run both his EVGA 770's SLI, so he's only running one.

I've read that 850W is recommended for having both running. I'm not sure on Amps on certain rails and how that'll factor in, so I need some help!

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-M12II-850-BRONZE-Power-Supply/dp/B00607JNIM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400808041&sr=1-2

is what I'm looking at getting.

His build:

i7-4770K(not Overclocked yet, but he will some in the future, but not heavily) EVGA GTX 770(currently 1, wants to put the 2nd in) 120Gb SSD 1TB HDD Sabertooth Z87 Board

Anyway, I'm trying to keep the budget to around ~$120.00 or so, as I'm trading him one with my Amazon Gift C?ards and he's giving me his 650W and an HDD. I can actually up the budget to ~$160.00, after I saw the PSU he's giving me is a 650W 80+ Play and more expensive than I thought.

Please help :(? Also, if this isn't great, can someone point me in the direction of one that is?

Edit: Also looking at these two instead, seems better for the price point

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-80PLUS-Gold-Certified-Supply/dp/B00EB7UIXM/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Single-Modular-Certified-P1850BBEFX/dp/B00B88Z0LM/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400809505&sr=1-4

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Very few reviews or anything about it on the EggXpert tier list, would be a little skeptical there probably.

Edit: I'll dig into some more research, but thanks for the link :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

it's brand new, but johnny guru gave it a great review, and it uses the same OEM as the 1300w super nova, which is tier 1, so it's pretty good, and it's cheaper than most 850w 80+ gold PSUs.

• 71 months ago
  • -1 points

650w is deifinitly not going to power your friend's SLI 770's. Also a 600w is the minimum power supply you should have even if u have one GTX 770. Does your friend plan on OC the cards?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know where you heard that from, considering the TDP of a 770 is 230 watts. Take this hypothetical build for example. Max power draw is only 640 watts. Although running all of that off a 650W power supply isn't recommended, it could be done.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

TDP and power are different. TDP is how much HEAT the card outputs, and has nothing to do with power. Take intel's haswell CPUs for example. They have a higher TDP than ivy bridge because they put out more heat, yet they are more power efficient.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Power efficiency isn't how much power it draws either. Also, if you click on PCPartpicker's wattage estimate in the top right of that build, it'll give you a little wattage breakdown. The MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card is listed as 57W - 230W. If you're still not convinced, here's a benchmark showing the total system power consumption of a single 770 at idle, in BF3, and in Furmark. There is absolutely no need for a 600W PSU for a single 770.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I know. I was just using that as an example. My point is, TDP is different than power usage.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

...the 3 listed power supplies are 850watts.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Your friend wants to SLI right? So 230w x 2 =460w plus the 4770k(84w) = 544w with only the cpu & SLI 770's being accounted for that's more than 60% of the power of the 650w. OK maybe SLI 770's can be powered form a 650w psu but who really wants to take that chance. I'm just talking from being on the safe side & having them powered cleanly & efficiently know what i mean. I don't know if he wants to overclock the cpu, gpu or both, have this computer for a few years & upgrade parts for the future and not taking a chance of him using it then idk it shut down form not having enough power or kill his components form being poorly powered. Go with the Corsair RM 850w its cheaper than the XFX plus the Corsair has 178 customer reviews to the XFX's 9 reviews.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

He's not trying to run them off a 650 unit. He's looking for a new PSU since the 650 he has is not enough for SLI.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You are calculating using the TDP for some reason!? TDP has nothing to do with power, and the i7 4770k consumes much more than 84w.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Calm down. TDP is a fairly accurate estimate of 100% load power consumption. It could go over and have spikes, but it's still a decent approximation. There's a reason a lot of PSU calculators use that as a baseline.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

TDP means "Thermal design power". It measures heat, and has absolutely nothing to do with power. Look it up. A component's TDP is the amount of heat that has to be dissipated at any given time for it to work properly. For example, if a CPU has an 84w TDP, than the cooler must be able to remove 84w of heat. Keep in mind watts are a measure of energy, so just because you see the word "watt" it doesn't necessarily mean electrity; it can mean heat too.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That was the point...he didn't actually intend on having 2x 770's, his credit card went through twice and he ended up with them. But yeah I'm agreeing with your second post, that seems like the better option and a good PSU candidate, due just to reviews. Thank you for the help.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. Sucks that happen to him but i guess he will enjoy it now. 770's SLI is overkill for 1080p & easy for 2560p. I hope he has no issues, enjoys it a lot & it last him for years.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

lol yeah but he's someone that doesn't care and just wants to show off I suppose.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

wow lol

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the info. I thought so, the Corsair has more/better reviews on Amazon, but the XFX is put on the Tier 1 list through the newegg PSU post, so I couldn't decide but was leaning towards the corsair, seemed like a decent deal.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The issue I have is that it HAS to be from Amazon, considering that's where my Gift Cards are for.

The Corsair is also 80+ Gold, compared to the Seasonic which is 80+ Bronze, although I have heard good things about Seasonic. But through Amazon, the Corsair is cheaper than the XFX.

Also found this: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fully-Modular-Performance-compatible-OCZ-ZX850W/dp/B004NMF9ES/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400867071&sr=1-5

Good info on the OC.net link though, thanks. Ultimatly it's up to him which he wants, as long as both are sufficient to get the job done, I'll give him the choice.

On a side note, he has an Antex EA-650W 80+ Plat that he's trading to me, but I didn't seem to find too much info on it, so wasn't sure if you had any knowledge to weigh in there.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube