add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's the difference between windows 7 32 bit and 64bit

jwred681
  • 73 months ago

What's the difference between window 7 32 bit and windows 64 bit?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Contrary to popular belief, it's not the amount of RAM each supports. The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a CPU handles information, which is where 64 bit and 32 bit programs come from. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of RAM more effectively than a 32-bit system, which is why 32 bit windows can only see up to 4 gigs of RAM.

Here's a link if you want to read more

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. That article was very helpful. Going to go with 64 bit windows for my new system

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a quote "You can rock radically more RAM. How much more? 32-bit versions of Windows (and other OSes for that matter) are limited to 4096MB (or 4GB) of RAM. 64-bit versions are theoretically capable of supporting a little over 17 billion GBs of RAM thanks to that spacious register system we talked about earlier. Realistically, Windows 7 64-bit Home editions are limited (because of licensing issues, not physical limitations) to 16GB of RAM and the Professional and Ultimate editions can rock up to 192GB of RAM."

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

im going with windows 7 84bit for my new machine. I now understand why my old dell computer only register 3 gigs of ram when there was 4 gigs installed. I should have my new machine up and running later tonight :)

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The terms of 32-bit and 64-bit refers to the computer's processor (also called a CPU), which handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

For whatever it's worth, Windows 7 Professional and up can take up to 192 gb of ram.

(You would not have to upgrade to Ultimate, only professional)

If you are building or buying any computer, it will come with/you will want 64 bit.

Home premium 64 bit sees up to 16gb.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube