• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

BoyScout 57 months ago

It's finally here. Our first version of the PCPartPicker mobile site brings the basic part search and system building functionality to your handheld device.

Your mobile device should be detected by the site and move you to the mobile version automatically. There's also a link at the bottom of every page that lets you switch between the mobile and desktop site. If you click that link, we'll honor that as your preference on your current browser/device unless you click it again.

So why beta? Our first focus in creating the mobile site was proving out our core System Build functionality. We've worked to optimize the site interactions for small screens and are at the point where we really want your feedback about what does and does not work well. We hope to leverage that feedback as we shift to bringing the mobile site into feature parity with the desktop site.

You'll notice some areas of the site are not yet available as mobile friendly pages, but if you click through to such an area then nothing should break -- you should simply be shown the traditional desktop site instead. We appreciate your patience during this beta period as we bring more areas of the site to mobile.

One last note: While we've tested the site across a variety of iOS, Android and Windows phones and tablets, we definitely want to hear about any bugs you can find! When reporting a bug or issue, please let us know what device you're using so we can try to reproduce the issue on a similar device. Thanks!

Comments Sorted by:

cooperred 2 Builds 2 points 57 months ago

I love it! I feel like the part categories could be changed a bit though. I know there's a search function and filters, but it's still a lot of stuff to scroll through. About the filters too, the button is a bit confusing at first.

Great work! Thanks!

BoyScout staff submitter 21 Builds 1 point 57 months ago

Glad you like it! Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you found confusing with the filter button?

cooperred 2 Builds 1 point 57 months ago

Just the button itself I guess and what it is. I went to the CPU page first, and as soon as I saw the amount of stuff on there, wanted to apply filters. Took me a bit to figure out that that button was the filter button.

Gotcha & Noted. I'll keep that in mind as we iterate on that page.

infinitemerald 1 Build 2 points 57 months ago

For some reason I'm pressing the "Full Site" button but its not taking me to the standard.

We are working on a fix and hope to roll it out shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

infinitemerald 1 Build 1 point 57 months ago

Oh, no problem! It's called "beta" for a reason ;)

The fix we were looking at went in, so hopefully it addressed what you were seeing. Let me know if it didn't -- thanks!

Seems to be working fine! Thanks for the quick fix :)

voxelnoose 2 points 57 months ago

The only problem I've had so far is seemingly randomly it will put me back on the desktop site when I go to a new page.

Same thing. It's like it just randomly chooses Full or Mobile...

While there are definitely areas of the site that will drop you back into the desktop site, generally browsing from within the mobile site should keep you there (except of course the link it has to the forums).

Do you remember what you were doing when you saw it drop back to the desktop site?

voxelnoose 1 point 57 months ago

Going to the cpu page from the parts list, and from the front page to the partslist.

Interesting. I'll see if I can reproduce it on our end.

Also, which device/browser do you happen to be using? Thanks.

voxelnoose 1 point 57 months ago

A kindle fire hd with the silk browser.

We rolled in a couple bug fixes last night and this morning related to the desktop/mobile cookie not sticking that might have been the cause. Testing today on a Kindle Fire with and without accelerated browsing enabled seems to be working for me now, but let me know if you're still seeing it.

Banditvxl1911 1 Build 2 points 57 months ago

Firstly, i would like to say that I love the new mobile application. I really despised the really annoying load times when I was on my phone. the modile version allows load times, and is much easyer to work with. I do have a very quick suggestion, apart from it allready being fantastic. in the Desktop version, there is an option to keep a list of parts with minimal descriptions, and a list in which there is a picture, and a a normal description. in the mobile version, you only have the option of the pictures and a medium sized description. at times, when you are quickly trying to find a certain part, can be extreemly annoying. if you can incorporate a list with no pictures and a minimal description similar to the list the the desktop, that would be really nice.

I'm liking it a lot :) My only complaint is the lack of color, with which the traditional site gave me no issues. But, loving it nonetheless! Thanks for your hard work guys, keep it up!

I'll keep that in mind. Glad you're liking it so far.

ravengpitts 1 point 57 months ago

You'll notice some areas of the site are not yet available as mobile friendly pages

I forgot about this when attempting to view the new mobile site and I went straight to the forums... 10min of refreshing and browser switching I won't get back lol. SO far I like the mobile look, now i can obsess over my part list in places I couldn't before :P

Apex1 1 Build 1 point 57 months ago

Looks good so far! I was able to log in on a Samsung Note 3 and see my builds. Is there any way to see all the prices for a part? It's only listing one, which I assume is the cheapest.

BoyScout staff submitter 21 Builds 2 points 57 months ago

I may be misunderstanding you, but the part category view does only show the cheapest price. However, if you click on the part's title (or the View button below a listing), then it should take you to a part-specific page with all the available prices listed along side the detailed specs.

Apex1 1 Build 1 point 57 months ago

That worked! Thanks.

Mobius438 1 point 57 months ago

First impression: Looks great on my iPhone 4S! Which is really really saying something because I despise and disable (if they let/remember me) the vast majority of mobile sites I come across. I actually like and intend to use this one. Great job guys and keep up the good work! You have my sincere appology for doubting you. <3

Pencil465b 1 point 57 months ago

I personally dont like the mobile site, but I know some people will. If there is a option to disable it that would be awesome!

No problem -- you should be able to switch to the desktop version of the site by clicking the link at the bottom of any page. It will remember your preference unless you clear your cookies.

Hakumisoso 2 Builds 1 point 57 months ago

I really like the picture view system. Looking at pictures on the desktop site was painful. Working perfectly fine on my htc one via chrome and dolphin.

Just a suggestion, white background color is a real battery drainer. It would be awesome if there were a dark version with black background and white text.

thekasafist 1 Build 1 point 57 months ago

Honestly I was hoping for a cell phone app. Although this mobilde version of the web page does really come in handy since the regular page had to much going on to better navigate through it. So far this works fine on my iPhone 5. I like the mobile version of the page its handy and well thought out. Next up is an app haha!

jtjuncker 2 Builds 1 point 57 months ago

The staff are or will be working on a pcpartpicker app from what I've heard, however their main focus from what I understand was the development of a mobile friendly site. Hopefully once the mobile site is completed they will continue on and create the application promised around a year ago, no promises by them so far though. But the site works much better now on my phone!

thekasafist 1 Build 1 point 57 months ago

This is true it is much more convenient than the traditional site for mobile devices now. Thanks for the heads up!

Vinnybob15 1 point 57 months ago

Can you make the forums mobile for iPad? I love the mobile on it!!

philip staff 10 Builds 1 point 57 months ago

You can switch to mobile using the link on the bottom of the page (though forums are not yet converted to mobile , so if you click that link on this page you may not notice until you visit the other parts of the site.)

Crockturtle566 1 point 56 months ago

It's been working well with my note 3

Solarkiller13 1 point 56 months ago

I love the mobile site and hope that developement on an app is still going on. Very exited to see what you guys come up with.

ForLackOfABetterName 1 point 56 months ago

Works good. the only thing is that sometimes when you click (or tap in this sense) to see the specs of some items, it does not show the specs at all. besides that, its fine, and i know you guys are working to improve the mobile version!

Skrapxxx 1 point 53 months ago

Splendid, I love this site and now adore it. Keep the good work!

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]