add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which z97 motherboard for this build?

JNessleroad3
  • 73 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JNessleroad3/saved/R3F48d

1) has to have overclock utilities. Overclocking will extend the useful life of this build. I'm learning and want a board to help me grow 2) has to have 6Gb/s for the SSD, two internal HD (1 for regular use and 1 for archiving) and the external HD (for saving and taking offsite). I'm moving quite a bit onto the new computer and want that speed. 3) future capability for dual video cards 4) internal sound capability would be nice 5) WiFi not needed 6) Was thinking RoG but am open to advice 7) I'll make this build last 5-6 years so money really isn't a worry.

I'm using the computer for video editing, digital dictation, archiving pictures, editing multiple simultaneous BIG MS-Office files, online gaming (but slow rural internet connection limits playability more than the system)

Thanks for your advice, JN3

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

External hard drives don't normally use a sata port. It'd be a USB 3 connection normally. Hasn't really been too many people using Z97 yet, but the 7 Hero is decent, along with the MSI Z97 Gaming 5. All ATX Z97 boards will have 1, 2, 3, and 4.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

All z97 motherboards have overclocking features built in, so that point is kind of moot.

All of them also have sata 3 (6gbps)

3) Most boards support dual video cards, and I believe all z97 support crossfire.

All motherboards have onboard audio so no worries there

RoG is basically never worth the money, unless you're doing extreme overclocking using something like LN2.

Moving on:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $309.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Silverstone TD02 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $93.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $118.91 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $315.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $83.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $104.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card $499.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $59.99 @ TigerDirect
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $399.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard SteelSeries APEX Wired Gaming Keyboard $80.57 @ NCIX US
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $59.99 @ Amazon
Headphones Logitech G430 7.1 Channel Headset $49.99 @ Best Buy
Speakers Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 28W 2ch Speakers $69.99 @ Amazon
Other Asus ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming, Multi function, Overclocking display controller $134.99
Other SAMSUNG D3 Station 3TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STSHX-D301TDB $99.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $2973.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 00:21 EDT-0400

I changed the cooler for a cheaper, and better performing unit (arguably the best price to performance clc you can get right now)

I changed the 290x to a quieter and cooler model (in case noise bugs you and to improve thermals for overclocking headroom)

I changed the case because it is a) old b) huge c) expensive and d) doesn't support dual rad clcs. The Air 540 is incredibly spacious for it's size due to it's extra width and housing the hard power supply and 5.25 bays in a separate compartment. It'll easily accept all your parts, and provide better airflow than any other case you can get.

I also upped your power supply. A 290x pulls 300 watts, an overclocked one can pull as much as 375W (from what I've seen). That means 750W to the gpus alone could be pulled if and when you get that second card.

I also removed the thermal paste because it's only at BEST going to make a degree or two difference load, and just isn't worth it.

Almost forgot the motherboard. It will handle overclocking just fine, has enough sata ports for you, and has support for multi gpu configurations.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice- 1) CPU- cooler- good with that change. I'll look at some more of the ratings and cooling comparisons on those 2) 290x change- good with that, too. 3) Case- I have a space limitation- my computer desk has a slide out try to the right of the computer user where desk drawers would be. It gives me max dimensions of height 22", width 9", length 22". And it must have a right side fan to pull air from the 'leg' area under the desktop. i will look at more cases 4) Power supply- I will go with your suggestion. 5) Thermal paste- + / - on that. 6) MoBo- thanks for your advice there. Local computer guy said ASRock an will treat me fine.

JN3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube