add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which motherboard

Spider13
  • 73 months ago

I'm looking at getting the asus z97-A for my engineering/gaming rig but I'm wondering if the z97 PRO or MSI gaming 5 based on the features are with the extra cost over the z97-A?

Here is my build: PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hsX8jX Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hsX8jX/by_merchant/ Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hsX8jX/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Mac Mall) Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Micro Center) Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Micro Center) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (Purchased For $311.70) Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Micro Center) Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC) Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor ($134.99 @ Newegg) Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Essential Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Amazon) Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Micro Center) Total: $1455.52 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 16:37 EDT-0400)

Also looking for opinions on case and cpu cooler. I will learn how to overclock at some point once this build is complete. Max budget is $1600 but I want to keep it around $1500 if I can.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WtdbCJ

The choice on a Z97-A is a solid choice. Great features and functionality, A high quality board with great design. Additionally the auto overclocking feature is great especially for someone not familiar with it.

You may want to want to get the new Devils Canyon 4670K replacement which will be released at the end of the month.

As for the memory I made a switch to a dual channel kit. You want to get matched dimms to ensure the best compatibility, interoprability and stability. While the kits you have could work sometimes you may need to manually change the timings as the programmed timings may be too tight as they were validate for single channel operation. Additionally the increase in bandwidth can help in applications in engineering as they tend to be bandwidth sensitive.

Change the SSD to slightly more expensive EXTREME II offers all around better performance and more importantly offers superior read and write consistency especially as the volumes is filled

Changed GPU to GTX 770 a great choice for 1080P especially when paired with the GeForce Experience software. It is also much cooler in operation and much lower power consumption and offers superior overclocking margin should you want. Lastly the DCII design is extremely cool and quiet and features a fully non reference design ( improvement to the build quality )

Included an optical drive for OS installation

Changed the chassis to Fractal Designs R4 more flexible in regards to expansion and layout. It is also quieter and offers some pretty nice flexibility in how you can back mount SSDs. Overall at similar cost a more flexible chassis but the 400R is still a great chassis. Honestly based on your build specs you could even go for a more basic chassis and still have a great build experience with good airflow and expansion.

Changed OS to 8.1

Faster in all respects especially when it comes to post and boot and as well as sleep and hibernation resume. Additionally improve I/O performance USB 3.0 and SATA. Not to mention a number of improvements to the file explorer functionality.

monitor is a great choice. I have 3 used in my test lab. Another good choice for a little less and slight reduction is size is the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288

Overall looks to be a great build! Best of luck with the build and hope this helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube