add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

gtx 780 in a nzxt source 210 window case

rammstein

67 months ago

will the gtx 780 fit win the nzxt source 120 case and have sufficient air flow? the motherboard is an ASRock FM2A75M Pro4+.

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The case fits up to a 330mm graphics card. Airflow should be adequate. What worries me is pairing a GTX 780 with an APU or Athlon X4.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

how so? what could go wrong? i generally dont recommend the usage of AMD products, but i am on a tight budget and the athlon x4 760k BE falls into teh budget range with the most performance.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

You'd be limited by your CPU in quite a few games. If you can afford a 780, you can afford a better CPU + a 290

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Even an i3 (which offers better gaming performance than the X4) bottlenecks the GTX 780. FX6300 is the absolute lowest CPU I would pair with a GTX 780. Even then, you may encounter some bottle necks. Like cooper said, go with something like the FX8320 + R9 290 for something more balanced.

Can you link the whole build you had in mind?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

here it is http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YNRDJx i dont really like AMD GPU's. and my general budget needs to stay around $1,000. but in the future i do plan to upgrade to an i5-4670k CPU. but that will be in 1-2 years. if you think a gtx 780 would not be a good choice with the athlon, should i just get a gtx 660 or a 660 ti or a 670 instead? then when i upgrade my cpu get the gtx 780?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't be as simple as upgrading your CPU. You would have to change motherboards as well (completely different platform).

Here is my suggestion, it is a compromise and the best of both worlds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $56.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $359.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard $48.26 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1090.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-31 01:20 EDT-0400

This is only $50 more than your build.

• You get your i5 + Z97 motherboard
  • I cannot stress enough that the R9 290 performs damn near identical to the GTX 780. Not to mention it is over $100 cheaper. Since the release of aftermarket coolers, the temperature problem has been solved. This is coming from a guy who has 2 x GTX 780's. If it wasn't for the stock cooler fiasco and the mining craze, I would have had 2 x 290 instead.
  • Squeezed in a fully modular EVGA psu that is 80+ gold.

Why bother upgrading in 1 or 2 years when you can have everything now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube