add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lapping cpu cooler

FrostyGT

68 months ago

Does any one else lapp or sand base of CPU cooler smooth for better contact to CPU? I have always lapped the cooler because I was told its more efficient to get the two surfaces to have the most surface area contact as possible and use very little thermal paste.

Is it really worth the time or dosnt it matter since Im not OCing the 5th gen I7 CPU?

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

test

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't lap it. CPU's heat spreaders are not perfectly flat, they're a bit convex/concave, and you really don't know whether lapping could hurt more than it helps.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Ditto. One the hardware review sites examined numerous coolers and processors and stated the same as cooperred. If intent on lapping the cooler, you will need to lap the processor as well to be sure.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube