add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler configuration/choice

Spider13

68 months ago

Right now I am looking at getting a hyper 212 evo to cool a i5 4670k. I will eventually be doing moderate overclocking and possibly more as time goes on. Should I replace and/or add a fan(s) to improve it's cooling capabilities? If so which fan should I add? (Looking for a balance between airflow and quiet (I'll be using it in a dorm with a roommate so it needs to be respectfully low noise).

Also if I should add a fan would it be worth it to just upgrade to the noctua c14 or another cooler that still meets my needs?

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you talking about adding a case fan, or adding another fan to the evo for push/pull? You really shouldn't need either unless you have horrible case airflow.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm talking about adding a second fan to/ completely replacing the fan of the 212 evo. A computer tech friend of mine said something vague about putting some nice fans on it to make it a beast. I'm looking at getting the fractal define r4 so of what I've heard airflow is pretty good.

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

No need to. Push/pull won't really help much, and the stock fan is decent enough. Save your money and get something like a Noctua

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't buy fans for an H212 EVO. It's a great cooler at an even better price point, but for the money it would cost you to get separate decent fans you could just get a better cooler.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. What better cooler would be a step up and still considered a good value?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need extra fans for the 212 EVO. But since you said you are moderately overclocking I would try to find a good water cooling solution. The Corsair Hydro Series has some pretty good coolers, mainly the H80i and the H100i.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube