add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Antec GX500

Infocus

67 months ago

I was originally going to buy the Bitfenix Comrade for my new build but I came across this Antec GX500, This is a much better looking case (imo) and comes with three fans with an optional 2 more (1 rear, 2 top, 2 front) Whereas the Bitfenix only had 3 fan mounts. I was wondering if anyone owns this case and what they think of it, I would also love it if you could attach some photos of what cable managment is like, here is what my build looks like so far:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=301199&action=wish_lists

I know this is a budget case and is missing some mod cons what I really like it, do you guys have any other recommendations for around the $40-$60 mark, I would like something that has as much airflow as this does.

Thanks! Tom

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought this case, and the reason I saw your post is because I was going to ask the community advice on what to replace it with. Here's the things I found wrong with it.

• No mounting screws for gpu included (I had to zip tie mine in place)
  • Expansion slots are so cheap you have to rip the metal off to use them.
  • Optical drive bay is curved so when you place a drive in there it sticks out from the rest of the case and looks terrible.
  • The top fans are defective (the people who assembled it pinch the wire for the fans in between two screws which breaks the wire) the fans also make a TERRIBLE clicking sound constantly.
  • The included screws stripped in my psu and I had to rip them out with pliers.
  • Poor cable management (there is no place to route 8 pin connector so you have to string it right through the middle of the case.
  • HDD mounting is god-awful and will not fit correctly (mine is hanging about 1/4 of the way out which can't be a good thing)

If you don't care about anything I said, then other than that the case is good. However, I learned the hard way not to skimp on the case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/YxnQzy (I have some pictures on my build page)

And one more thing, please tell me those aren't the prices you will be paying for those parts on that website. That is such a total ripoff if it is. (the build is missing a PSU too)

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'm a bit anal when it comes to cable management and neatness so I guess I'll be skipping this case. I had actually seen that build before I read your comment and I saw your comments on the case and was a bit weary. I will be paying for most of those parts at that website aswell, I know it sucks but that how the Australian Dollar works: pay 10x what someone in the US will pay, however I will be buying my SSD and GPU off Amazon which should save me around $150. I would buy everything off Amazon but sadly postage for everything is sooo expensive, when postage is available, (mainly because Amazon is in the US) For example if I was to buy that case of Amazon I would be looking at approx $90 postage for it -_-

Do you know any alternatives to this case that allow really good airflow?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Man, that really sucks about the prices. About the case, what else besides airflow are you looking for? Like the style?

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Styling doesn't bother me too much, I like simple and minimalistic designs as much as a like aggressive cases, something with blue/white/black is what I'm really looking for as all the parts in my build are blue and black. I found this Bitfenix Case which looks really nice and has a modest price point as well: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-shinobiwindow

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree the bitfenix case looks really good especially for the price! I might consider that myself!

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good man! All the video reviews look pretty decent, heaps of cooling options aswell!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube