add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using Windows 8 from another computer's hard drive

outthawazoo
  • 72 months ago

So I took the hard drive out of another computer that had motherboard issues and it has Windows 8 on it. If I use that drive in a computer I'm building, will everything work like it's supposed to?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Nobody knows. Most of the time, you would have to at least contact microsoft and explain that you switched motherboards and reactivate windows, but you could also experience driver issues and blue screens

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No, it's not going to work. If you have a Windows 8 disc or can get one, you might be able to repair the installation to the point where it can be used again. Otherwise, you're probably going to be better off doing a clean install. If you don't have the media and lost your box, but you do own this copy of Windows that's on the HDD, you could scan the HDD for the serial key and retrieve it before doing a clean install, which should allow you to download a legit copy of Win 8 from Microsoft's website and reinstall using a USB.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

~2 weeks ago I booted from my hdd from my laptop in a desktop computer without any problems. With windows 7 Home premium. It wouldn't boot back into the original desktop drive until I fixed the bcd. But mileage will vary :P really should just do a clean install to be safe. I reactivated my oem key through an automated call which was pretty fun imo lol- just be safe do a clean install after you back up important files on there.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube