add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dealing with a long video card in an ATX Mid case

RedCedar

67 months ago

I am really sold on the NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case. I am looking at R9 280 video cards and getting the following compatibility warning.

Compatibility Notes In order to fit, the XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card may require removing drive bays from the NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case. The case only supports video cards up to 230mm in length without removing drive bays, while the video card is 294mm long.

The case has three 5.25 drives slots (I will used 2-3) and eight 3.5 drive slots (I may use 2).

I have three questions: 1. What drive bay type is lost should it have to remove it/them? 2. How may drive bay would I have to remove? 3. Is it a low or big impact to lose these drive bays?

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

It looks like with that case, the GPU would extend out into some of the 3.5" drive bays. Basically you wouldn't be able to use those bays for 3.5" drives. You'd still have all the remaining bays available however. How many bays would be occupied by a single GPU? I'd wager between 1-3, but the final number would certainly depend on the width of the GPU at that point, and where it aligned vertically. If you're going to have 5 or less hard drives, I would not consider it a big impact.

EDIT - From looking at this picture:

http://www.nzxt.com/uploads/product_images/case_tempest_210/DSC_1352_800x600.JPG

It looks like you'd only lose two slots.

• 66 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you would still be able to use it, just would lose a couple slots. Some information that helped me with cases is below if you need it.

http://www.squidoo.com/gaming-cases

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube