add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best 120mm Case Fans and H100i Question

Outt

68 months ago

So I'm finishing up my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $119.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard Purchased For $111.79
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $72.65
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $49.99
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) Purchased For $102.40
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) Purchased For $100.00
Case Inwin GT1 White ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $69.98
Power Supply OCZ ZT 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $89.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $806.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-03 17:30 EDT-0400

And all I have left to get is my CPU cooler and an HDD.

I'm currently planning on grabbing a Hyper 212 EVO(as it shows) but I'm considering maybe an H100i(as that sems to be the equivalent of water cooling as a Hyper 212 is to Air - as in best bang for your buck). Was just wondering, if I went the route of an H100i, what kind of increase in cooling/performance/overclocking I could achieve compared to a Hyper 212, and if it's really worth the extra ~$50.00?

My second question would be, if I stick with the Hyper 212, I think I wanna grab another case fan, maybe 2. I know nothing of case fans, outside of Noctua being a strong brand, but I'd need some 120mm fans, and am on a budget, would only really like to spend an extra ~$20-30 for case fans if I can, and also not sure if I should put them on the case(was thinking maybe 2 more fans) or 1 on the case and 1 on the other side of the Hyper 212, to get a push/pull type of effect(even though the exhaust fan of the case will be basically opposite the heatsink).

So I come to you with my questions/suggestions :)

TL;DR: Hyper 212 EVO + 2 120mm case fans(either both on the case or 1 on case 1 other side of heatsink) or H100i and no case fans.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd stick with the 212 Evo personally, since although the H100i is a good cooler, it's not really a great value option, since it gets the same performance as a high end air cooler, for ~$30 more.

If you get case fans, $30 is more than enough for some high end fans. I don't know how many stock fans the case comes with, so I'm going to assume none. Get 2 fans and put them in the front and rear.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

It comes with 2 120mm Fans, one intake and one exhaust.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd add another intake and exhaust then if you're getting 2.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

suggestions on what fans then?

The 2 stock fans are 120mm, one is Red LED. idc if they're LED or not, but if they are, I'd prefer them all to match, but I don't care to pay extra just for them to be LED.

I do plan to overclock though, so not sure if the H100i is better long-term and for overclocking? I just don't know enough about them. But I'm thinking my case is gonna be pretty hot with the 2 Gigabyte R9 270's and if I push them more too.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Noctua makes great fans, like you said. Honestly, for case fans, you don't have to worry about too much. Just get something that doesn't sound like a jet engine and still moves a decent amount of air. I wouldn't get the Sickleflows though, since the manufacturer specs are total BS. They're actually pretty terrible for the price

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for sales and get whatever the best deal I can get is.

Any other brands/models to stay away from? or brands to look out for?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get the Cooler Master SickleFlow for an aftermarket case fan.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Not ordering until Thursday so gonna see other opinions as well, no offense, but that's a good place to start :)

Edit: They don't have any on Tiger Direct :( looking to order there since they have the $15.00 off an order over $100, and their prices are comparable to Amazon or Newegg so it ends up being a decent deal.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube