add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3D CAD workstation build

aackthpt
  • 72 months ago

Parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/aackthpt/saved/yk66Mp

This machine will be a 3D CAD workstation, primarily for Siemens NX but possibly for Dassault Catia v5 or whatever comes along in the industry over the next 5-6 years or so of its useful life. It will, of course, also be used to do the standard office type applications and web surfing but come on, you can do that crap just as well on a core2duo box. The machine will probably never be overclocked, though since I have access to Microcenter it doesn't really cost me any more for teh K or for the overclockable motherboard due to the magic of Teh Bundlar. Durability and reliability is a major goal for this build, as is teh quietz and bang-for-the-buck factor.

Based on familiarity and prior experiences, right or wrong we're sticking to Intel for this build. Please don't suggest AMD due to higher bang-for-the-buck factor. I know. Don't care, don't care, don't care. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152914/tynacorp

Since I refined this build, I don't think there's any particular area in which I'm looking for suggestions... I'm just hoping there is something I don't realize, or don't know, that would be helpful in better achieving the goals of this build. TIA for all comments.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello and welcome.

My only suggestion would be to have a look at Asus's TUF series. Probably the most reliable and durable line of motherboards out there. Also, 5 years warranty.

That's it!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, OK, yeah those are interesting motherboards. However, I don't see going to a mobo that costs 2.5x normal.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's an interesting option. It'd be nice to have the Core i7 in there rather than the i5... just a bit moar performance and perhaps a little more future-proof. Though for our work the hyperthreading and extra performance with all cores is not likely to add usable performance. In fact I've always been a bit skeptical about whether HT was really actually useful anyway - ever since they started it. Anyway... it'll be even better than your build because it looks like I can get the i7 for $286 inc. tax from teh Microcenter.

Sources for performance statements: Core i7: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4770K+%40+3.50GHz&id=1919 Core i5: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4670K+%40+3.40GHz&id=1921

So to summarize, single thread speed is almost exactly the same, but the i7 has 33% more overall/multithreaded performance than the i5.

The guy I'm building for is concerned with reliability more than anything. Therefore I'd chosen the WD Black for its 5-year warranty, which to me implies moar confidence on the company's part in the drive. I suppose it may be possible that all it implies is that they charge enough more to cover more warranty claims. In fact I've found a thread in which someone claims WD told him almost precisely that: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253754-32-what-reliable-hard-drive-black-blue-green although I know they are overstating the case of them being different, because it is establish Internet fact that the green drive has a different head parking strategy than the other drives. Perhaps the reality is that the drives physically are the same but have different firmware. Though WD markets it as having different motor shaft mounting and stuff. Though on second thought of thinking about HDDs... I should add an external backup drive to this build, and if I do that then the Black and Blue thing is pretty well moot.

OK that case isn't happening. The guy who's getting it is also concerned about teh quietz, and that is not a "quiet" case. Besides which I just don't like it. grin

I'll propose the i7, hard drive switch+backup drive, and discuss the case situation. Other than that, it seems this build is about planned. Thanks for the suggestions!

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, OK, that's a bit less expensive option for a quiet case. Sweet deal, I will check it out.

GF's bro recommended (tonight at dinner) recommended I play around on Microcenter because evidently besides the automagic CPU/mobo bundles you get $10 off Rams and possibly something on HDDs. They are, of course, trying to get you to buy the complete package there. Anyway, I'm going to play around and if it lowers prices I'll switch to those components and set custom prices. Let's see how low I can get it. Anyway that dude is harder core than either of us, then again he's a pro computer guy so I suppose he should be.

I'm on this sucker's twin right now (sans video card) and it's actually freaking amazing. Work is going to be HolyCrapAwesome on these, I suspect.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, reply #2... reviewed the case and don't like it LOL. All my builds will probably drop into the Corsair 330R unless I find something I like bettar for the money.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No love from teh MicroCenter. That sucks. I guess this build is now frozen unless it gets strung along that the new CPUs become available. Now to see how fast the guy wants to move. I hope it's either (a) sooner rather than later or else (b) buy the parts that have rebates/discounts, and wait for other parts to come up on rebate/discount. Looking for deals is something I wholeheartedly endorse; I just don't know if this guy is going to be able to make a decisive decision for one or the other approach.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The guy's not sure of anything really. He claims he's mostly concerned with reliability and teh quietz. But the reason to upgrade is for moar performance, and cost is always an object. Since I don't really think he'd be able to tell the difference between an i5-4670k and an i7-4770k, I don't think it's such an easy decision other than from the "more is better" point of view.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube