add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

An investment for the future.... I think...

reecep92
  • 72 months ago

Hey guys and possibly girls...

So I went through and selected a whole bunch of parts for a computer that I would like to build within the next 6-8 weeks. I'm going to be using it mostly for some serious gaming, but I also need it for University and to handle streaming as well as Photo and Video editing software.

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what I'm doing... But the budget is roughly $3500-3600 which is what I hit with this build.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on ways I can make it better or even save a bit of money here and there - I'm all ears. But I'm hoping to build a computer now that can play games on 4k for the next 4-5 years.

Thanks guys.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/reecep92/saved/8Vm323

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you did a pretty decent job in some aspects, but at the same time there are some glaring...misappropriations of funds going on :P. Here's my recommendations assuming you're running on a high resolution monitor, or multiple monitors:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $385.00 @ PCCaseGear
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.00 @ Mwave Australia
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $266.00 @ CPL Online
Memory Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $179.00 @ PCCaseGear
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $329.00 @ PCCaseGear
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $97.00 @ CPL Online
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $519.00 @ Mwave Australia
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $519.00 @ Mwave Australia
Case NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (White) ATX Full Tower Case $204.00 @ PLE Computers
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $259.00 @ Mwave Australia
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) $165.00 @ CPL Online
Sound Card Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $175.00 @ PCCaseGear
Other Noiseblocker eLoop 120mm X 2 $58.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $3304.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 14:59 EST+1000

So from the top:

I changed the motherboard to a z97 series because it is a newer chipset which will allow you (if you feel like waiting a month ish) to get the new haswell refresh unlocked cpus (specifically the 4790k), which overclock considerably better than the current haswell line. Additionally it will allow you to upgrade to broadwell come year end if you wanted to.

I changed the RAM to something slightly cheaper and nicer looking. You also don't need 32gb unless you're doing something like VMs. Unless you specifically KNOW you need 32gb, 16gb is fine. Hell for 99% of people 8gb is plenty too.

I upped your SSD to 500gb so that you've got plenty of flash storage to put your most used games and applications on without ever worrying about filling it up.

I changed the graphics cards because the ASUS DCUII coolers on AMD are pretty poor. They run warmer than most of the competition. The Tri-X is probably the third best cooler/card that you can buy (behind their own vapor-x which is pretty pricey and Powercolor's PCS+).

I also changed your powersupply to a larger 1000w modular psu from evga for slightly less. It's also a highly recommended power supply, and you might need the extra wattage if/when you overclock.

I removed the fan controller because the motherboard (and most other z97 motherboards) have fan control programs bundled that you can download off the manufacturer website to set custom fan profiles.

Finally for the fans it seemed like you were buying replacements for the h100i. The nzxt fans are honestly not that great, and you're better off getting a good set of high power fans with high static pressure. The noiseblocker eloops look amazing (will match nicely with your case), and are fantastic performers, rivaling the best fans on the market. These ones are the only ones worth getting I could find in australia, unfortunately they're the super high rpm version. Simply put, eloops are amazingly quiet and powerful fans up to about the 1800rpm range, after which they get kinda loud. This is an easy fix, however, as you can set a custom fan curve in the Corsair Link software that comes with the h100i to keep them from getting beyond that and getting loud/annoying.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely look into the parts you recommended. Will the system still have the same specs? Aside from, of course, the change in RAM and other things in that regard.

I basically just wanted a fast, if not, overkill computer that would be able to play games for the next 4-5 years... With Uni and everything, I won't be able to save up for another Gaming Rig til after I've graduated... Which sucks haha.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It will have slightly different specs, but better use of money, more storage, and more efficient GPU coolers.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Will it still be able to play games at their highest settings with no lag? That was really the only thing I wanted. I know it will be more than powerful enough for just general browsing and streaming...

But it was the gaming aspect for the next few years that was my only concern.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. It definitely wil be fine.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh awesome.

Thanks for your help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube