add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any Suggestions to my build?

mtrum01
  • 73 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $135.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $149.99 @ Mwave
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $174.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $449.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $185.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card $679.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Best Buy
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $152.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $2299.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 05:34 EDT-0400

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $304.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $449.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $102.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $359.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $359.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $133.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 V2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $2152.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 05:39 EDT-0400
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

flames shooting out? The cards don't run that hot at all. Bigger power bill? Drop down to a single 290x and get more or less equivalent performance to the 780 ti for around 150-200 less.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep it civil or refrain from commenting. This attitude is not appropriate for our site.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Man, you are super entertaining. Really you are. Never stop trolling me because I love you just the way you are.

Let's take this step by step with evidence because according to you I never link any. You link a Techspot (lol) review of the REFERENCE 290. Now I've said countless (and I do mean COUNTLESS) times that the reference coolers on the 290/290x are absolute crap. Take a look at tomshardware article about replacing the TIM and see how horribly poor even the surface contact point of the heatsink is terrible link. That's the first big problem with it. The second big problem with the reference cooler is that the fan used just wasn't enough to manage the heatfin design. The wider memory bus (512 bit) also generates more heat vs the smaller 384bit bus on the nvidia 780/780ti. In terms of TDP the 290x is tested (not officially rated) at 300W, so yes, it is a higher TDP card. Also I never at any point said the 290 series was efficient or otherwise. What difference does it make? Do you spend some ridiculously high electricity rate that means that 50W more of TDP is going to break your monthly allowance? The over $150 in savings you get from getting a 290x over a 780TI and $115 in picking a 290 over a 780 make up for that. In the case of the 290 vs 780 you also get better performance, which you'll see later in this post.

But let's go back to your heat thing. As a point to debate, you choose the reference cooler I just made mention of. NVIDIA certainly makes a much nicer reference cooler, though it's also much more expensive, and the costs are passed down to the buyer. Even with that reference cooler, it regularly hits the thermal limit of the architecture easily at load (82C) PROOFPROOF 2. Beyond that temperature, it will throttle, much like AMD cards will. So...NVIDIA is no better in that sense. Now like I said before, the AMD reference design is garbage, no arguing. NVIDIA's is no better from a thermal standpoint really, though it's definitely higher quality and quieter (considerably quieter at around 10dB less).

Now take a look at the cards I've always recommended. Have they ever been reference cooler cards? No. Not once. They've always been one of 3 cards: the Sapphire 290/290x Tri-X, the PowerColor PCS+ 290x (which AS QUIET and AS COOL as the quietest, coolest NVIDIA 780/TI, the Inno3d ichill herculez x3 WHILE not being as tall or long), and the XFX Double Dissipation 290/290x. NONE of them run anywhere near as hot as the reference cooler you try to use as a point against me, and nowhere near as loud either. You're taking my past recommendations and trying to turn them against me by skewing them with an entirely different product. Try harder.

Now for your last point. You link gpuboss. GPUBoss. Literally the hitler of the review world. Want some proper comparisons? LINK. Notice how the ONLY scenario where a 780 beats a 290 is at 1600x900 resolution? The 290 outperforms in EVERY other resolution.

Also the fanboy thing, absolutely adorable. A guy with no builds to date on here calling me a fanboy, when both of my builds here have been nvidia (Dual Titans, Dual 780 TI Classifieds) and the ones before that were also NVIDIA (690 and dual 580s). anyway....#shrekt.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube