add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

another AMD/Intel thread $750-$800

bastiat
  • 72 months ago

2 lists. I have considered allowing myself the room to go crossfire in the future should the Gpu I chose see a nice sale on black friday/new years etc. Doing this would mean that my PSU needs to be more expensive. I also realized that there would be a cost difference in the psu due to the power difference in intel vs AMD for cpus needed. Both of these PSUs should allow crossfire with that card The price difference ends up being ~$80 to go for the intel CPU over the amd. ($70 if the masterpass10 code works for me on newegg for that intel motherboard).

Also, it might be worth noting that the intel PSU, then is able to be gold, I can drop to bronze and save another $10

Note: The GPU is purchased as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $129.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $69.99
Memory Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $39.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $49.99
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card $244.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Soprano ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $34.99
Power Supply XFX 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $104.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $721.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 11:20 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $39.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $49.99
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card $244.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Soprano ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $34.99
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $87.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $804.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 11:20 EDT-0400

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

also, on an unrelated note, I dont plan to do alot of overclocking at least not right away. How are the 4570k stock fans? good enough if you arent OCing? same question for the 8320. If they are fine on the intel, then I could bring that price closer to the AMD anyway and just grab the fan some other time

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

well the case is purchased, and after rebate will be half the newegg price of that one.

Like I mentioned, the card is actually already bought as well. I decided to go with a 280x over 280 already when that price dropped below $250.

I will not surpass $200 from newegg with what I have left as the CPU will be picked up from microcenter anyway and the PSU is on NCIX.

The crossfire thing was just in case I find a really extra good deal later on. Its not like I am laying out a schedule where I am dead set on CF.

Yep, the masterpass code doesnt work because that MB has a free mouse attached to it. too bad I cant lose the mouse and get the discount.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube