add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Light Gaming build with some future prospect?

JuanJr
  • 72 months ago

Hello everybody, i am a new member to the PCPartPicker and i would like your opinion on this build.I mainly play RPGs[not Skyrim and the new console style rpgs, more like Neverwinter Nights 2 etc], some strategy(Company of Heroes 2 and Empire Total War for example). The only somewhat demanding games i play are Asassins Creed 4, Bioshock and maybe Far Cry 3(i am not into Fps at all but i liked Far Cry 2).I play hearthstone too but that would run in any pc nowdays so its not something to consider.So my overall target is to build a pc that would be able to handle my gaming for the next 4+ years with some hardware updates of course.Any thought and comment on this build is appreciated,so what do you think?

(sorry if my English are bad...not my native language)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rQmGnQ

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Juan, I like the plan for your build and the price you're shooting for, but I think you should concentrate a little more of your funds into the graphics card if you want to plan out about 4 years. Since there are also some great and cheap water cooling solutions available right now I modified your build to accept one of those as well. This build may not look as pretty, but it will be a great bang-for-buck PC for the next 4 years, disregarding what Tekillah says:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $84.74 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $7.81 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75M Pro4+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $59.49 @ Newegg
Memory Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card $244.99 @ Newegg
Case Azza CSAZ-206 ATX Mid Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan $3.55 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $638.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 09:49 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI A88XM GAMING Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $93.49 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $200.00 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $665.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 15:22 EDT-0400

What do you think?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it. I think you're overpaying on some components that won't really net you much, though, and specifically that water cooler costs more and delivers less performance than the Cooler Master 120V. What about something like this:

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75M Pro4+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $59.49 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card $244.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $50.02 @ Micro Center
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $647.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 17:00 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 2 points

well i intend to OC the cpu so the mobo isn't going to be good for that!That been said i am willing to give away the 10% performance on the gpu to go for a a solid motherboard as for the cooler i would agree that the cooler master is better and i will go for that one

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Understood; sounds like an awesome final build! Just for the record though, the mobo I showed you comes with overclocking utilities in the BIOS, so it's not like it CAN'T overclock.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ye i checked it out but i am hopping that AMD will keep the FM2+ going for some years so i am thinking that i should have a good base if i want to update to something better or crossfire,and over everything else i trust this one much more...Anyway i think this is what i going to get! A huge Thank you for your help mate!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Why the downvote?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the comment but i think we are not on the same page here...we are thinking different game probably!A modular psu around 550W-600W would be a good change though.GTX 780-770 and i5/i7-FX aren't overkill for what i am trying to do here?Was thinking i could just upgrade to an apu in 2 years and be back on my gaming...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Mate...sorry but i made clear which games i want to play and you keep talking about inferior parts as if anything below a GTX 780 and an i7 is crap!i know my needs and i am just trying to find out if i need any minor changes to the build and you keep going on about things i wouldn't buy even if i had the money to do so.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry if my lase comment was offending i was sleepy at the time.What i am trying to say is that i don't really play modern games,i have check what is coming out that may interest me and decided to go with that build so i am able to play the games i wrote in my original post for now...and if in the future i find a high end game i really want to play i want something that could be updated(i keep hearing that AMD will drop the AM3+ and that is why i didn't go for an FX,i had many failures with nvidia in the past so i prefer AMD GPUs as for Intel cpus if you have something in mind that could keep the budget under 700 i would be very interested in it). Thank you for the time you took to read this "book"

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube