add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming PC Recommendations

robertoc9
  • 72 months ago

This is my first time building a gaming PC and would like some input regarding this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/wmf7YJ

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty solid except these three points:

1- you don't need 16gb of ram, for gaming 8gb will suffice.

2- for storage, you could get away with a 120gb ssd instead of a 240gb. The performance difference is minimal to none having games saved to a ssd. The only difference you will see is in write time and possible in load time, but actual gaming won't have a noticeable difference.

3- check to make sure the corsair h100i WILL fit in the case. IK it says its compatible but to often in mid tower cases does the cpu power cable get in the way of the radiator.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your response. Regarding the dual hard drives, what's the actual point of having two? How do I know which programs to put on what HDD?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

what a lot of people do is put their OS on their ssd to increase boot times. Sometimes it can help speed up general activity on the computer thats saved to the ssd but in most cases, its for faster boot times. The benefit of a ssd is that it reads and writes faster than a hdd. For gaming, you only need to download the game once and waiting an extra 3-5 seconds for it to boot if its even that much of a difference in my opinion isn't worth the cost of a ssd when on a budget. HDD are cheaper and can store much more for the same price of a 120gb ssd. So for gaming, having 1tb of storage rather than 240gb of storage on a ssd is usually much more appealing to a budget since the general game can be anywhere from 4gb-30gb.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you a budget? Like a $1500 budget?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd like to stay at the price I'm at, if at all possible. What did you have in mind?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, sounds good. I'll downgrade the SSD since I'm only putting my OS on there. Thank you.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

the typical OS is around 30gb so 50gb+ ssd is sufficient.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

also if you don't plan on ocing your CPU, you could get a cooler master 212 evo air cooler for around $30 instead.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PRJbCJ

Okay, I made some slight changes. Please let me know what you think. Also, will this computer work for streaming to Twitch?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

And I don't plan on OC. I basically want to play games on their highest settings and stream to Twitch. Will this setup suffice?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

For playing games it will suffice. I don't know how demanding twitch is so I couldn't answer. Like I said, do some research on your case and see if anyone struggled installing a 240mm radiator in it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no listed price on the motherboard...that build is more like $1600-1700

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube