add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jschwiz
  • 73 months ago

So this is will be my first attempt at building a custom PC. It will be for gaming. I don't need the biggest and best, just something that will make games look decent and look cool at yhe same time. I'd like to keep my budget at around $900 and yhis is what I came up with after almost 2 weeks. Please let me know what you think about the performance compared to price and/or any suggestions. It'll be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jschwiz/saved/9VF48d

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems like a balanced build, the only iffy being the 970 chipset motherboard. I would recommend the 990X/FX chipset for a build with the 8320. Otherwise you might have to update BIOS if you stick with the 970 chipset, making it harder if you're a first time builder.

Motherboard suggestions:

ASRock 990FX Extreme3

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

I do know that these don't fit the budget, but if you can, try and save up for it, cuz it could save you alot of hassle. I would also recommend a CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU-Cooler, just because of how hot the CPU's from AMD can become, using the the stock cooler. The 212 Evo will also be much more quiet. A suggestion for the CPU, could be the FX-6300. It's a great all-rounder, and fits good with the R9 270. It's cheaper than the FX-8320 too, so that saved money could go to the better motherboard or CPU-cooler. But it's up to you, it can also depend on if you'll be playing CPU-intensive games or GPU-intensive games. Otherwise it should work great, good luck!

Keep in mind that this is just a suggestion, so don't automatically stick with what I'm saying, so listen to other peoples opinions too.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Decent Build. Not much more you could do. I recommend checking out maybe making an mAtx Build. Might find out it's cheaper. Other than that good job.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I think if he wants the 6 or 8 core CPUs from AMD, it wouldn't work too good in a mATX build. It would only allow 760G or 860G chipset motherboards. (I think it's called that). And these chipsets aren't too good for these particular CPUs.

But it could work for Intel builds, it would just might be a tad more expensive, since Intel price:performance is often worse than AMD.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

You just need to keep an eye on the MAX TDP the motherboard supports. You are correct about the chip set however.

Though it kind of prompts the question. If this is only for gaming do you really need 8 cores? Probably not. Might be an Idea to consider an APU?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think the 8 cores are necessary for a pure gaming-build, but it is more cost-friendly compared to a 4-core intel i5. If the prices are what I think, then a i5 4xxx will cost about $220 and a FX-8320/8350 will cost $120-180.

But then again, 2-4 cores are used, very rarely 6, when gaming. So the i5 should perform better, since it has better single and dual core performance.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone. Right now the fx-8320 is at 149.99 and that was why I choose it. It will be mostly for gaming, a little bit of web browsing but not much else. Last week it was $10 under that. I do want to put a cpu cooler in, I just never decided which one to get. Is updating a bios difficult?

This has turned into a buy a part or 2 at a time build now so some prices will go up and others down and I'll be able to adjust within my budget accordingly. I just hope I can get it all within a month or so and hope for no DOA.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Also what does anyone know about Powercolor? I'm not familiar with them at all? Do they make solid products?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube