add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help Building a $1200 3D Modeling/Gaming Rig

abeship
  • 73 months ago

Looking to build a rig with a budget around $1200. I have OS, Mouse, Keyboard, etc, so all I need are the components themselves. I will be doing 3d modeling, along with some gaming on this PC. I know a little bit about computer parts, I am thinking of a new gen i5 quad core (if they have one), maybe 2 graphics cards? That is where I get lost..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

I was looking at the i7-4770k, it appears to get very good reviews and is a solid CPU. $1200 is not firm, but once i say $1300 it then becomes $1400 and $1500, and I don't NEED anything that nice!

For MOBO, would you recommend the Z97X? I was looking at other threads and this one was suggested. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsli

Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again for your help! If I upgraded from the 770 to the 780, do you think I would see an increased performance in the modeling aspect? I don't mind spending the extra $150 (or whatever it was) if I get better performance and a newer card that will stay "up to date" for longer.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

What programs will you be using? You may want to consider the red side, because some programs prefer OpenCL, and they are also cheaper.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Solidworks, Inventor, Possibly NX once I get it installed. Then also some CAM software (usually integrated into solidworks or Inventor). I might experiment with Blender as well, but that definitely isn't top priority.

For cases I was looking at the NZXT Phantom 410 White, it is a good deal (I think) at 80 from amazon.

I also get my OS, Word, etc. from school software, so none of that is necessary.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I should also clarify, I am looking at an SSD, around 250GB as I wont need much more space than that for now.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, one more thing... The only game I will really be playing is LoL, at least for an intensive game (then maybe some older games that are much less intense) so I would be more prepared to focus on the Modeling aspect of things, and cater the computer more towards that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube