add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pretty sure it's the MoBo, just seeing what others think.

larsG35

60 months ago

Just a standard APU build. A10-6800K w/ Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H. (the only build I currently have under my profile if you want to see more details)

So this thing has gone through 3 PSUs.

*1st EVGA 500B (yea tier 4 psu, but this is (should be) drawing way under 500W so it shouldn't matter) lasted about 72 hours of total "run time"

*2nd EVGA 500B lasted about 48 hours

*3rd Corsair CX430 lasted about 6 hours

Used connected to a decent fused power strip. Computer works what appears to be perfectly until it just goes out and will not turn on again. I have never been in the room when it "blows". All other computers (store bought refurbs usually) run on this power strip have had no issues, many running at least 6 hours a day for over 2 years. I don't have (but I guess I could get) a meter that is checking how much power is being drawn from the wall, so I don't know if that is the issue.

I really can only assume it's a motherboard issue at this point. I double checked all power connects each swap. Can motherboards just have a situational short that just draws way too much power and blows the power supply? Needless to say, I'm getting pretty fed up with this.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your motherboard installed correctly into the case? If you skipped using standoffs you could be shorting the system out.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I used standoffs, the case did not supply a standoff for one of the motherboard standoff holes, I just left it empty.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

just for some closure on the topic.

Long story short, I was simply getting this information from my father who was using the computer. His troubleshooting was a bit less thorough than mine. Pretty much change wall outlet, toggle PSU switch, try case "Power" button.

Well, I took out the MOBO, inspected for damage, was none. Proceeded to reattempt POSTs with power supplies. Each and every one worked. Turned out the case power button was shorting/getting stuck. Computer went into hibernation and couldn't turn it on again unless the front panel connection was removed from MOBO. Fiddled with the front button, everything is looking good. Now I have 2 PSUs for some budget HTPCs I guess.

Sorry, I should have waited until I personally saw it before I posted here.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube