add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pc n00b needs some help :D

adimatteo98
  • 72 months ago

BEFORE YOU CLICK ON THE LINK TO THE BUILD! I'm not sure about which graphics card to purchase... the r9 280x, or the geforce gtx 770... any questions below also relate to having the gtc 770 as the gpu. Thanks!

This is my first time building a Gaming rig... How does it look? ---->http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8ZZzy I just have a few questions about this build... How well will it preform? Is the PSU good enough for the build? Should i get a 750w instead? Will this Pc be able to play games like skyrim, ARMA, Planetside 2, etc? Will any bottlenecking occur? Will the CPU/GPU Preform well together? SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS D: If I could get some feedback about this build/ if there's any tips you can give to a pc n00b, that would be great! All help is appreciated!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you going to only game? Or are you gonna do some video editing/rendering for youtube and such? If you are only going to game, i would advise with a i5-4670K instead of a 4770K. Most games do not use hyperthreading and it'll be a waste of money. Though if you do plan on rendering, hyperthreading will be very helpful.

For the motherboard, i have this one personally, and it works fine. Warning to you though, it has a brown PCB, which i hate. You might think differently, but just wanted to warn you. Probably wont be noticeable unless the side panel is off anyways.

Change the RAM color. Why would you chose blue when you have a black and red motherboard man :P. Anyways, if you plan on adding more RAM soon(as in like 3-5 months), stick with the 1x8. But if you are gonna wait 2-5 years, go with a 2x4 kit. Dual-channel will allow the RAM to perform better.

Looking at benchmarks, the GTX 770 outperforms the 280x by a few FPS. Either way, you'll be satisfied with both cards, so instead of looking how they will perform, look at what they come with. AMD and Nvidia both come with programs that will tend to your needs. Look at the programs they offer and see which one you like better, and choose that card. Also, make sure you get a non-reference model of the card you choose. Perferbably MSI since it'll match your motherboard and the cards they recently make are considered very quiet.(I have a MSI GTX 760, love it)

Going with a 750w PSU will be safer, as AMD cards(assuming that you get a 280x) tend to draw more power. Also, with the CPU and motherboard you chose, overclocking is a option that you will want to consider. As a future add-on, you can get a EVO or a H100i, and overclock you CPU. Having 750w when that time comes will save you the trouble of worrying about not having enough power under the hood.

Get Win8.1 for 89.99.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Whoops forgot to answer your questions.

Yes, you're computer will be able to handle all the games listed. Most likely at Ultra/High with decent FPS.

No, bottle necking will not occur.

Yes, the CPU and GPU will perform fine together.

:)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback! I am planning on gaming, but also using this for some schoolwork (typing up essays, etc. im graduating next year, so im planning on having this pc with me for a while. :P) Should i get the i5 if thats all im doing?

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah the i5 should be enough for those. Plus with the 1150 socket, future upgrades should be a breeze. If you ever need hyperthreading in the future, you could upgrade to the latest i7, as long as they still use the same socket which is likely.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Maybe something like this. Sorry if a changed almost all parts

PCPartPicker part list

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $34.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $160.91 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $319.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $65.26 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor $155.43 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1309.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-08 22:49 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

haha thanks! i was just looking at the graphics card :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube