add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Updated - Under $1500 Ultra/Max 1080p 60fps minimum Build

SoAmusing777
  • 72 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $109.99 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Micro Center
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $58.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $359.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $87.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card $193.28 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Fan $12.75 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Fan $12.75 @ Amazon
Case Fan Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan $11.99 @ NCIX US
Case Fan Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120mm Fan $18.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1367.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 14:27 EDT-0400

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound << This is pretty much the reason I'm getting that sound card. It's a must have for me. I know someone will wonder why. I also have the headphones to take advantage of it. Really high quality stuff.

I chose the CPU instead of the 8320 due to it's better IPC and usefulness in emulators, which I definitely plan to be using. I chose the case due to it's portability mainly. I was originally going to get a laptop around this price, then thought, hell, might as well get a desktop. A laptop is pointless to me besides the portability, which the case certainly helps with. Most of the time I'll just use a smartphone. I'm hoping everything will fit in there. I chose the PSU because I wanted a quality PSU that had great efficiency but was also modular. Seemed to be the best for the price.

About the fans... Yes, I know the Noctua's are expensive, but do you know how many damn fans there are? I got so sick of looking for fans, reading reviews, being unsure of what I was going to get, then just decided to get ones that I know were going to be kickass. Hey, if you can find quality fans that are lower priced, please do. I don't have it in me anymore. I added the 3 120mm fans because a couple reviews noted the included ones were a bit loud. 2 will go up front and one for the upper rear. The 200mm fan goes on top.

About the only things I'm unsure of on this build are the mobo and the SSD, although I'm pretty sure they're just fine. My goal is to get the best bang for buck lowest price point PC that will hit that which I put in the title. The mobo needs to have USB 3.0 headers, be great for OC'ing, although most hit the same speeds, and support at least another GPU. I thought about the Noctua DH-15 initially, but this CPU cooler should be great. The SSD I want to be close in performance to a Samsung 840 Pro/Evo. Any thoughts on the GPU are certainly wanted. I thought it would meet the criteria and be the best for the money. It's better than the 770.

The only other thing I seem to be missing is possibly thermal paste, but I don't see where that's needed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Just change your video card to a 780 and your build is perfectly good. No need for those extra fans really though.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

depending what the flow currently is, he might want a couple extra fans just to create some decent airflow. But he doesn't need to fill every single possible slot.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I can agree not needing to fill every slot. Just trying to get the best airflow, which I have no clue what it is.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I concur.

Mmm, there are no possible side fans on the EVO. Good to know though.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This build is better ^ although you forgot he wants to overclock. So just change the mobo and processor back and your good to go.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

perfect!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I never said I was buying it for portability alone. I wasn't focused on them. They were just in question. I don't want that case. I love the case I picked. The handles are a big plus as well as the size and shape. Is it worth it to get the Noctua Nh-D14 or similiar phanteks one, or will the Evo suffice in overclocking? Why that mobo over the one I picked? Nicee find on the RAM. I was just going for the cheapest CAS9 1600mhz I could find. 250GB is overkill. 80-120 is plenty. I'm just using it for the OS and whatever few games I may be playing at the time. I chose the PNY because another forum poster recommended it on the non-updated post. Said it had similar real world performance to the EVO/Pro. I just don't know about the brand. That's a better pick on the HDD. Again, the cheapest 1TB is what I was going for. I honestly am a bit torn on the GPU. I love the Nvidia for Shadowplay and Physx, but I do know the 290 is very similar or better in performance for less money. TXAA and CUDA implementation is nice as well. G-sync is sweeet, but, I have an EIZO Foris FS2333-BK, and AFAIK you have to have a G-sync capable monitor. Just curious as to why you went with a different optical drive? Probably more reliable?

Spose that's it for now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube