add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please critique my gaming build

cyclonus01
  • 72 months ago

Hello everyone,

I just put together a gaming build that I hope will last me for a while. My goal would be to play Elder Scrolls Online, Far Cry 3, Metro Last light and hopefully the Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4 when they come out on max settings with this build. My current monitor is an old NEC LCD 3090WQXI that does 2560 x 1440, but I'd like to eventually be able to do 3K gaming maybe on that new LG ultra wide monitor. Also one of my main requirements is that the PC runs fairly quiet, my last PC was an Alienware aurora and it was incredibly loud. I am also looking for a recommendation on a case (preferably a mid ATX). I was going to go with an Fractal R4 but it seems that it might be a bit cramped.

This will be my first PC build in ten years so please feel free to comment and provide recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Cyc

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xKxsnQ Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xKxsnQ/by_merchant/ Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xKxsnQ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.98 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Newegg) Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Amazon) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($259.19 @ Amazon) Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($479.99 @ Newegg) Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($479.99 @ Newegg) Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg) Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC) Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC) Total: $2357.06 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 15:16 EDT-0400)

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as an SSD goes you'd be better off with a single Samsung 840 EVO 750GB, Same amount of space for $69.25 cheaper.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I actually had the two SSD drives on there by mistake, just gonna go with a 512GB drive for now..

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The Samsung 840 EVO 500 model Samsung MZ-7TE500BW is probably your best bet, I own one and it's a great performer. Startup in under 30 seconds.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

cool thanks for the tip, I will go with that model.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a much better use of money for more performance:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $79.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $359.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $359.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 V2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $94.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1740.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-11 11:39 EDT-0400

From the top:

Changed the cpu cooler to one that performs equivalently without being ugly and also complementing the colors of the build.

Changed the motherboard to something considerably cheaper while still performing equally well and fitting the color scheme

Changed the ram to slightly cheaper ram that is still red

Changed the SSD because in real world performance terms the 840 evo and the m500 are going to perform identically. The reality is most of the benchmarks done on reviews for SSDs highlight performance differences you will NEVER notice in real world usage.

Changed the GPU because while the 780 ti is a hell of a performer, it is excessively expensive and not anywhere near what I would call worth the money. For the 680 bucks you pay for a 780 ti, you could buy a 290x for over 100 bucks cheaper that provides something like 95% of the performance, or for 200 bucks less (33% cheaper) you can get a 290 which offers like 85-90% depending on the resolution you're at. As a result of this huge price mismatch, I was able to fit TWO 290s while still being 100 bucks CHEAPER than the other build recommended. You could go back to 290x like you had originally chosen if you wanted (and honestly should have kept). NVIDIA's gpus are not worth the money almost across the board with the exception of I believe the 770.

I changed the case because the h440 is also a silence optimized case (i own and use one), and it also has a variant that follows your color scheme. It does mean you lose a cd drive, but if all you're using it for is installing windows, you can easily do that via a usb stick (plenty of guides online to walk you through it).

Also changed the powersupply because you don't need 1300w for two gpus, even with heavy overclocking on both plus the cpu.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the detailed recommendations.. I have already ordered the case and the SSD so stuck with those, but haven't ordered anything else... your configuration is interesting.. I do love the way the XFX cards look when they are lit up :) Also to your point about performance for the buck with respect to AMD versus Nvidia , this article recently came out:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Z-Review/Skyrim

I guess with Nvidia you are really paying for the name in the majority of cases.

I was wondering about the motherboard, I was eyeing some of these MSI motherboards that (the gaming series follows your red scheme) and was wondering if I should go that route.. It would also be nice to have Bluetooth and 802.11 AC on board along with excellent sound so I can keep the build minimal without buying additional PCI Cards. Also if I were to go with these 290's in SLI/Crossfire mode, would I be able to game at 1440P at max settings for skyrim, ESO, metro last light, far cry 3 and 4, etc.? Or would I really need to go with the EVGA card previously recommended or the (2) 290x's

Thanks,

Cyc.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

To address your questions:

If you have a need for bluetooth and wifi, it is cheaper to get a pci card or a usb dongle because built in ones add a good deal to cost. AC wireless really only makes sense if you have something like gigabit internet. Otherwise, you're always going to be limited by your incoming internet connection.

The sound is up to you entirely. Honestly I have a motherboard with arguably one of the best onboard audio solutions, but I still prefer to use an external soundcard (also known as a dac+amp) because they will always sound better. That being said, for the majority of people unless you have really good headphones (150 ish and up) you probably won't hear the difference.

For 1440p, the 290s will absolutely handle everything maxed out without a problem.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Im aware of the bottleneck of my incoming internet connection (I have a 100Mbps FIOS Connection).. I wanted to go with 802.11AC because of where my router is located (basement level) versus where my PC will be located (Third level) and supposedly 802.11AC has better range in non congested areas..

For the sound card, is there a high end one you'd recommend? that has a digital output? Also, for the motherboard, should I stick with the one you recommended, or is there an MSI Gaming motherboard that's a good alternative.

Thanks,

s.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You can pick whatever you want for the motherboard. My personal belief is that motherboards all perform equivalently (which is true, you can take a look at roundups to confirm), and try to minimize my motherboard cost as much as possible while fitting the color scheme I want (normally).

As for the wifi, it is true 802.11 ac does have better range, so that does make sense.

As for a sound card, for internal the one most people recommend is the asus xonar essence st/stx (one is pci, the other pci express). Otherwise I prefer external solutions. And recommending there is more difficult, instead I'd suggest going over to the head-fi forums and reading up.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the suggestions, but the Video card isn't that somewhat underpowered to max out settings on those games?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

maybe he meant overpowered... Cause his comment makes no sense XD.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

One display for now but would like the ability to do 3k or 4k in the future on a single display..will this card run relatively quiet and would i be able to add another for crossfire in the future?

Thanks,

Cyc

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok great, what about the case, do I really need a full tower case to keep it cool and quiet?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends ENTIRELY on the cooler in question. The Powercolor PCS+ cooler runs cooler and quieter than any nvidia dual slot out there and matches the inno3d nvidia triple slot cards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube