add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Brother Build, and it is a Budget Build

Qtrmeg
  • 72 months ago

My brother, who will be turning 60 years old in a couple weeks, is in need of a computer that doesn't crash & totally blow. I was trying to cob one together from what I had laying around but I would still need to buy parts, and I just thought for this occasion it would make sense to build something new.

I'm not rich but I can afford a modest amount & came up with this list >>>

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Qtrmeg/saved/p4w7YJ

This guy does AOL & Facebook, we don't need to build a rocket.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

List is solid, if you take into account the newer CPU.

The i3-4150 is a Haswell Refresh CPU not supported with the factory BIOS of that ASUS motherboard, so you would need to update the BIOS in order to have a functioning computer. That H81M-D Plus doesn't have ASUS USB BIOS Flashback, so you can't update the BIOS without already having a compatible Haswell CPU on hand.

Also, not really a big deal, but if you want to save $20, you could get an i3-4130, a cheaper motherboard, and cheaper RAM all without any real performance difference. The i3-4130 is already supported by all H81 boards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zVzfFT

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't realize that about the new chips, but I have a Haswell here I can use to update the MB. The 4150 is only %5 more right now and you get better graphics and a bit faster all around. It's worth the pain of pulling a CPU I guess, and I'm glad you gave me a heads up on that. Thank you, that just saved me all sorts of time.

I don't think the MSI has USB3 on the board, so the next cheapest was the Asus, of the brands I would use. I'll look again, and I'll check out memory again before I pull the trigger on anything. I'm sure I can save a little on memory.

I'm really surprised this build came in under $400, and it will be light years ahead of what he is using now. The only thing that bothers me is the small SSD. I intended to throw in some random old hard drive for storage but I don't want to use something that is at the end of its life.

For $50ish I could double the SSD size or buy a small spinner and have much more storage. Might as well use the space in the case for something, ya?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Argh, I was wrong about the 4150, it doesn't get you into the better graphics. I need to get the 4330, which is $125. Still not bad @ $390, and maybe less.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated the list. All in final price wasn't a super bargain but I think it is a good solid build that will last him for some time.

I wanted an SSD but I felt the cheapo Kingston 128Gb wasn't big enough for the primary drive so I got a cheapo Crucial 240Gb SSD instead of an additional larger HDD, and I'll add a used HDD for extra storage.

Mom bought the keyboard & mouse, and I am in the process of shaming the siblings into getting a decent sized monitor.

I'm $430 into it and I just gave him a cobbed computer I can sell in a blink for $100. He gave me a pile of old computers his wife's company upgraded from and I cherry picked the parts into a nice Lian Li case I think I can get $200 for.

Seeing as I've not spent a dime on this brother for the last 50 years I am dollar cost averaging his lifetime birthday presents to about $2.50 per year. It costs me more to get a large coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube