add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$950 PC with monitor and OS

TheVetNoob
  • 72 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $66.50 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $200.00 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case $65.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer H226HQLbid 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Other I'm going to use the Staples Price Match to get the Micro Center price on the 4670K
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $939.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 18:58 EDT-0400

PART RATIONALE

• CPU - Quad-core processor with good single core performance. It's also unlocked, so I can experiment a bit with overclocking.

• CPU Cooler - Amazingly well reviewed. Will let me toy around with overclocking.

• Motherboard - Cheap Z87 board that's currently on sale. This board will let me overclock.

• Memory - RAM is RAM, so I thought about going with the cheapest stuff that didn't hurt my eyes, but I settled on this because I think the color goes well with the motherboard.

• Storage - It's a 1 TB 7200RPM HDD. Nothing too exciting.

• Video Card - Same price as the XFX R9 280, but has a higher stock clock.

• Case - I am a massive fanboy of the Corsair 300R. This is the windowed version of that case. The standard 300R is $60 after rebates, I don't mind spending an extra $5 to have a window.

• Power Supply - More wattage than I need, but it's cheap than the 500W semi-modular from Corsair.

QUESTIONS I HAVE ABOUT THE BUILD

• Which GPU has a better fan, the MSI R9 280 or the XFX R9 280? I'm also open to the HIS R9 280, but only if it's really good as I think it's incredibly ugly.

• How high should I expect to be able to overclock the 4670K with the 212 Evo?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or help that you can give me.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I can only answer the overclock question. I have the i7-4770k, pretty much the same thing.. but anyways, I can OC to about 4.5GHZ if I wanted to. But it really depends on the chip. But yeah, you can expect it to take you to about 4.2 - 4.3 approximately.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks. I think I'll aim for about 4.0.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, you should be able to do that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube