add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first PC build, trying to make it as cheap as possible.

Shizzable
  • 72 months ago

So let me preface this by saying I know almost nothing about building a PC, or what parts I need, or how they even work (yes, I've been reading the sidebar). I'm not quite even sure how I'll start building it when I get the parts. Anyways, I'm sick of playing games at 5 FPS on my laptop. I want to build a good PC for a maximum of about $400 (I guess a bit more with other stuff), as I'm a teenager and making money is really hard. Here's what I've been thinking about using, courtesy of logicalincrements.com (and a few other sites):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor $59.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $43.99 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $35.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R7 250X 1GB Video Card $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $95.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor Asus VS197D-P 18.5" Monitor $93.93 @ Amazon
Keyboard A4Tech KD-600L Wired Standard Keyboard $24.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $565.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 23:24 EDT-0400

So there's what I'm considering so far. Can you guys let me know if I missed anything important, and especially what I can possibly do to make this cheaper. I'd be really appreciative, so thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's decent, but for what you want, an APU build will suffice. I'm not really in a part list making mood, but here's one that's pretty good. http://austinnotduncan.com/builds/proton/ There's a video there showing how it handles the more demanding games.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm kinda skeptical that an APU could actually run very many games.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Watch the video there. As long as you keep the settings on low/medium (depending on the game) you can get playable framerates. If you watch that video (it's on the page I linked), it shows how the APU runs demanding games like Crysis 3 and BF4. While it isn't on the highest settings, you wouldn't be getting that at this price point anyway.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen the video, but it was made in 2013 and I'm pretty sure it costs at least $500 by now. I'm not positive, but it's definitely not substantially cheaper than the kind of PC I'm building here.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The Proton is a 2014 build... the video was released as the monthly build for March.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I was thinking of a different Austin Evans video.

I'll look more into the Proton.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

A good choice would be to get a monitor and keyboard cheap at Goodwill, on Craigslist, or Ebay. Then you could get a better monitor later.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll look into that. I'm not worried as much about the keyboard, but the monitor added a large heap of money to my build that I didn't want there.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the pain... when prepping my build, I had a $500 budget including monitor. I almost ended up getting Linux as the OS.

Then my friend's dad said he had a monitor I could have, we negotiated a price of $20. That was a score, but the monitor is still 1050p. Not 1080, but I'm used to 1050 on my laptop anyway.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you do that, there's a decent build with a discrete GPU. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor $60.74 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H Micro ATX AM1 Motherboard $34.55 @ Mwave
Memory Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $35.99 @ Newegg
Storage Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.00 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 1GB Video Card $69.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $391.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 22:24 EDT-0400

The CPU was sorta random, not really new (AM1 is pretty old by now) but plenty powerful for the price with a low power consumpion.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoa, thanks for the help! I might consider some of the thing you put in for the $400/$500 PC. Could you give me an idea of what kind of games these two could run, and at what settings? And yeah, I guess my maximum price is a bit flexible but I still want to not spend too much money.

Also, I switched to the Hannspree monitor to save a bit of money.

Oh yeah, and would the Logisys power supply work with the other stuff in my build?

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess I'm talking about the $580 PC, but I was wondering is the Logisys power supply would work fine with my current build (to save myself some more money).

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

Is my current power supply good or do I need to upgrade it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube