add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on first build (17 yrs old)

MLG_TITAN
  • 72 months ago

Hi, I was hoping that some people in the realm of computers could help me with my (hoping) new PC. This will mainly be used for gaming and some light video and picture editing; but I do plan on going to college and this will be the PC that comes with me, hopefully with upgrades. I mostly play CS:GO and Gmod, neither are all to demanding, but I do want to get Watch Dogs.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22yxbv

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor- I do plan on overclocking it once I have saved enough for an all-in-one water cooler (Corsair).

Mobo: MSI A88XM GAMING Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard- looks great, has room for expansion, and for overclocking and gaming

RAM: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory- Fairly inexpensive and I have heard good reviews, looks nice too.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card- expensive and small, I am planning on upgrading eventually

HD: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 32GB 2.5" Solid State Drive- I don't really have enough in my budget to do a larger SSD, so I figure I can at least get the OS on it and maybe one or two of my favorite games. I already have the 1 TB HDD in my old PC and will be using it.

Case: Corsair Air 240- not listed- I want to get the Corsair Air 240 said to be around $90usd (little brother to Air 540) but it is not out yet.

PSU: As you can probably see, I do not have a PSU listed, I plan on using the PSU from my old computer (Dell Precision 490) it is labeled as a 750 watt max. PSU from Dell and has been been good to me. I do plan on upgrading it but for right now I figured it is a good way to be able to cut down on the price. The mobo does take a 8 pin power connector of which my PSU does not have, but I found a 2 molex to 8 pin, hoping this will work. This is my main concern about the build.

OS: Windows 8.1 Student Version- I saw this on the Microsoft Store (link below) and it looks very appealing to me, but I have seen some comments that state that it is not to download on a "clean" build. So, before I buy it I just want to make sure I am able to install it my "clean" computer. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22yxbv

I'm just trying to get the most for my money. Suggestions are gladly accepted!

Thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Change the GPU into this

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Any particular reason? I see they are the same price, but the R7 265 has a slower clock speed than the 750ti. The only reason I see is that you could crossfire them.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Clock speed is irrelevant except for cards with same chipset (GTX 770 1.1GHz>GTX 770 1GHz), and the R7 265 perform better than the 750ti

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, ok then I will definitely go with that card then , I like the thought of crossfiring them later! And could you tell me your thoughts on the psu situation, please and thank you!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

whats your budget?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm trying to get it as low as possible, but around $600usd. Mostly trying to find out if the psu would be able to work.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man,

Try this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y6wgQ7

You're running a budget build. You really shouldn't be worrying about looks besides maybe the case, this is a solid build for the money and probably the most value. I removed your ssd, you can buy one when you have more money and transfer your OS to it. While and SSD is great, if you can't put any games on it you really don't need it. Changed your ram to reliable cheaper ram. Basically got you more value for your money....

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I already have quite a few games(Watch Dogs can wait for me a little longer), so I think I'll stick with the SSD, besides it not really all that expensive. I really like the board from MSI, ever since I laid my eyes on it I've wanted it, even if I have to pay a little more, and sacrifice in the end. I'm kinda interested more in the PSU situation, do you think it would work or should I just go ahead and buy a PSU like the Corsair CX 600W($45) just to be sure. I'm not really in that much of a hurry but it would be kind of annoying to have to wait for a few more days. Thanks again!

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

No I mean, after you put the OS on that drive, there is no room left in it to put any games on it lol. Even if you don't put the OS on it, there is room for only really one newer game.... SSD anything less than 120 is a waste of money... I really urge you to use that money elsewhere and when you have the money buy a bigger ssd...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok you convinced me, no SSD for now. Can you tell me your thoughts on the PSU?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube