add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First ever build, lifelong dream.

byrdada
  • 72 months ago

Since I first got my Voodoo 3 when I was 11 I've wanted to build my own PC. I just never committed to spending the cash. 16 years later and now that I can afford it, I'm just gonna go for it. I have little experience building (just changing ram and video cards over the years) and somewhat working knowledge of PC hardware. I chose and ordered these parts after playing around with it for about 3 days. Probably didn't do enough research, but I had to commit or I'd never have gone through with it.

Anyways, I was going for about a $1,000 budget but ended up spending a little over that. Just looking for "most bang for buck" in terms of performance and comfort in that it can run most newer games at decently high settings. I wanted to have a lot of room for upgrading later for fun and try out this overclocking stuff. New hobby. I don't know how well I did in that respect and in comparison to experienced buyers and builders, but maybe I did O.K.? Here it is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $169.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $114.00 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB SuperClocked Video Card $213.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.98 @ OutletPC
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer G246HLAbd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $129.99 @ TigerDirect
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1134.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 22:59 EDT-0400

CPU => I've always had intel growing up but I bought an AMD laptop a year and half ago and many people have commented on its speed. It's also been a very reliable computer (I use it for work). So anyways, I told myself if I ever build, it'll be AMD just for cause of that, and for the hell of it, and it's something different than all my previous desktops.

CPU Cooler => Like I said, I've never overclocked but want to learn. Looks fun to mess around with, so I got this. Popular it seems and good reviews.

Motherboard => Again, like I said, I want to be able to keep upgrading this my first build as maybe a hobby. This seemed like it had a lot of slots/options/tweeks it has or could have.

RAM => not much to say here. 8GB is solid I think. However, I do have a story. I originally ordered 2133 MHz not thinking and then realized MB only supported up to 2000(O.C.) I panicked and started googling, freaking out, but learned that it didn't matter: RAM would at only speed of MB and processor (seems fishy). Didn't matter - I still cancelled order and reordered for these 1600. I just don't want to risk anything for my first time building.

SSD & HDD combo=> Friend and video told me to try putting Windows on SSD and the rest on HDD. Heard it was lightning fast, and it seems like fn to have an SSD; learn something new and just another part to learn to install.

GPU => Ok, ok. I'm not a crazy gamer (anymore). I still wanted a badass gpu cause I used to be all into it when I was younger. But, I also am not into it like that anymore, so I wasn't trying not to go overboard with unnecessary power and, not to mention, cash $$. Figured this was good inbetween, and won't it still play WoW on max settings and a lot others? I mean, it's pretty sweet card, right? Also, I've never owned Nvidia -always radeon. So I also got this to be different. Also, SLI and xfire weren't around back in my day, so I had to get something for that just to check it out later as an upgrade.

CASE => Had similar design and layout to the Newegg building video guide.I wanted to use this case to follow along with video to help me build it. Also, case had good reviews and a friend recommended Fractal. (Kinda wish I had window now though - can you buy window side wall separately later?)

PSU => 650W fully modular. Maybe wasted wattage but cost the same at 550W fully modular. I definitely wanted fully modular cause it's my first build and seemed easier to deal with.

Optical Drive => Not much to say here. Good reviews.

Please let me know what y'all think. Should be receiving parts in the next few days. I'm really pumped but kind of nervous about putting it all together. I know I'm gonna run into some issues/complications/frustrations. I feel like all the little fans you got to plug in on motherboard is gonna be a pain and making sure everything it plugged in right places. However, after watching several live build videos, I'm starting to get used to it. So again lemme know what y'all think and any tips or advice. Thanks.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

its a good part selection. Nicely balanced and as far as i can tell, money not wasted anywhere. Usually it helps to post here BEFORE you buy though...but o well. When building, take it step by step, don't rush something or get ahead of yourself. To many times have i quickly done something trying to breeze through a build and done silly mistakes that cause hours of frustration after...not to mention the high chance of breaking something when rushing. And there is nothing shameful about watching youtube tutorials, posting topics, or reading the manual especially on the first couple builds. Hell i would of been lost without the manual/youtube.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Yeah I can definitely see myself getting frustrated and then rushing with things so I'll keep that it mind. I swear, if I don't hear that post beep...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube