add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

suggestions for $450 gaming build

Dan_Roman47
  • 72 months ago

This build will be built within two weeks so I need a lot of suggestions on this build. I need to know as much as possible, including pro's and con's for this build. I need to know if this will be able to run BF4 on medium at 1080p with 60 FPS as well as in Arma 2 and 3. It will also be used for college work like PowerPoints, essays, stuff of that sorts. It also needs to be upgradeable, so if there is something that may prevent that please let me know. Also if you know of any problems with some of the components please let me know.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dan_Roman47/saved/XbTrxr

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

get rid of pentium and get an amd cpu.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Im still having troubles with which one to pick. I kinda want to upgrade to an i5 but I also want great performance right now. Whats a good AMD CPU that is less than $100?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Any of the quad-core Athlons or Phenoms will do. Don't use an FX unless you go for the higher tier ones such as the 8150, which is ~$200 right now.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

what about the Phenom II x4 945?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's good for medium quality games. Obviously it won't run Watch_Dogs on Max settings at 60fps, but it'll do.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Better in every way except durability (be careful with this build; don't overload it or try to overclock it) and will actually do what you want it to do, unlike your dual core 650 rig.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $74.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $39.38 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $35.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $35.00 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card $150.00 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master TC102 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply $38.01 @ Micro Center
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $453.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-10 09:36 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I heard 4gb of ram wasn't enough for gaming anymore. Should I go with 8gb and a cheaper card like the r7 260x?

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Most games I play I don't go over 4gb. Anyway adding another 4gb to this build later on would be very easy. If you step down to the 260x you're just not going to get 60fps on medium settings at 1080p; sorry. Granted, you'll get very playable framerates; maybe upper 40s down to very high 20s.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I remember watching video's of the r7 260x getting 60 fps on high on bf4 campaign.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

on the campaign sure, sometimes, with mantle enabled. Anyway hey, feel free to disregard me if you've seen otherwise. I don't think it's possible but I have been wrong plenty of times.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Its not that I am disagreeing, its just that I was wondering if there was a performance dip in AMD cards that I didn't know about. BTW I was thinking about getting a gtx 650. Would that run medium 1080p at 60 fps when paired with a phenom ii x4 945?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Why no overclock

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

This should perform much better at the same price:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WQvjNG

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I will consider it. Thank you for the response.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube