add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Picking a CPU Cooler

Dustin27

68 months ago

Hi, recently I've been trying to figure out what cpu cooler to get and just can't figure it out... I'll be buying a VII Hero Motherboard, i5-4670k and a GTX 780 and I want to make sure I have adequate cooling for my system. I was considering getting a H100i but found out it won't fit in my HAF 912 case without modifications which I'm not really interested in.

Any idea's? I'd like to overclock but not go crazy with it ;)

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You could always go with the popular Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

True True... there are some people who have made it to 4.2 stable OC with it to

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Or... H80i, H75, H60, etc.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I was considering the H80i to because it also on sale where I am but not completely sold on it... I'm assuming if I did buy it I would need to replace the fans with something better?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to use the H80i before I built my custom loop. The stock fans are pretty loud. So, if you're looking for something quieter, I would recommend replacing the fans with the Corsair Quiet Edition PWM fans... or if looking for performance, go with the Corsair High Performance Edition PWM fans.

[comment deleted]
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with watercoolers (none), or modern heat sinks.

The main problem is most aftermarket heatsinks require you to remove the stock AMD retention bracket and bolt the cpu to the motherboard. Personally I'd much rather use the stock bracket as I wouldn't feel like having to remove my motherboard if I ever need to remove the heatsink for upgrades etc.

I do know what worked for me but it's no longer available in most places. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX, it's lasted me for years, though I did end up replacing the stock fan with a 120mm x 38mm 3400rpm fan that pushes ~160 cfm.

With this heatsink I am able to clock my fx-8320 to 4.7 ghz. with the added benefit of my memory and mosfets also being cooled. So I see no need to switch to a different cooler, the only possible upgrade for me would be watercooling.

[comment deleted]
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

That's with Intel boards, with AMD you need to remove the stock bracket. because the mounting points uses the screw holes for the stock bracket.

[comment deleted]
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

No also the retention bracket, the plastic mount that the stock heatsink would clip to you have to remove it to access the holes to mount the aftermarket bracket and heatsink to. AMD uses a clip type system and not a pushpin for their stock heatsink mount.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

How much fps do you want to gain from OCing your CPU?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Zalman CNPS9900MAX is $25 after rebate, anyone have this cooler seems like a decent air cooler think of picking one up to have around for my next build. performance beats the hyper 212

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8340646&sku=Z20-1206

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys :3 thx for all the responses... I think I've narrowed it down to either the NZXT Havik 140 or the H80i... sales last till the 23rd so I got time :P

[comment deleted]
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

But in terms of overclocking how far could I go with that? Of course I suppose it would also depend on the quality of the chip itself

[comment deleted]
  • 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Mmm... it's also on sale where I am to for $48.88... not a bad price for a cooler like that, still taking suggestions though, nothings set in stone for awhile

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube