add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

what do i have to do when i replace my mobo with windows 8.1 my mobo is bad

mbasspcm
  • 72 months ago

My mobo is bad I installed windows 8.1 can I use the same soft wear if I get a different maker of mono or do I have to buy another windows 8.1

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Software > General Software" to "Software > Operating Systems".

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If version used was OEM, legally, it should not be transferred to any new mobo. If version purchased/used is full retail, it can be transferred/used with a new mobo. The EULA should have been included in your purchase of the operating system disc detailing it's use.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I swapped motherboards after installing an OEM version of Windows 8.1 on my PC. All I did was swap the motherboard and Windows worked right away. Then you simply install the new motherboard's drivers. Then, you call Microsoft support to re-activate Windows. They will give you a code over the phone that you'll have to enter into Windows. After that, you're good.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I was gonna mention that all they need to do is contact Microsoft support to activate it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ditto have had to do myself.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Just contact Microsoft and tell them you have a new motherboard. I've never heard of anyone getting denied a new key when they've tried this.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube