add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestions on Silent ~$2k Gaming Build

parishl31
  • 72 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/parishl31/saved/VXZFf7

I placed the VI Formula MOBO as a placeholder, I plan on going forward with the build once the VII Formula is released.

This is what I've pieced together. It will be my first rig but after researching for a while I feel like I'd be able to handle it. Saying that, I may tinker with overclocking down the line but for the time being it'd be kept stock. I plan on using it mainly for light workstation usage, maybe remoting into my work computer once in a while to use accounting software, but mainly to have the power needed for running high settings on games without having to upgrade in the near future.

My main concern is keeping it quiet but also sufficient cooling (my current setup is obnoxiously loud and struggles with heat sometimes). I plan on replacing the two fans on the CPU cooler as well as the rear and two front fans on the case. Is this sufficient cooling for my application or should I get an additional fan for the side/bottom?

I'm fairly flexible with my budget as long as I get the value to justify paying more.

Thanks for the help! Any other suggestions for a first timer would be great and welcomed too.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good but you should change your video card to a r290x. They are currently the best value and will perform close to the same as the 780TI for less money.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

That's true, but take into account that the 290X, even with custom cooling by ASUS/MSI/Sapphire, etc, will be louder than any equivalent cooler on a 780 Ti.

Custom coolers also exhaust the hot air into the case, so that would lead to overall higher ambient temperatures and recycling of hot air by his H100i, which would lead to even more noise. This is true for both the 290X and 780 Ti, but the 290X produces more heat.

Just depends how deeply OP values silence.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

take your money you save, go buy better cooling. Problem solved, and you get better cooling for your entire case.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Better cooling and silence than NF-F12's on an H100i? Nothing is going to improve more than a couple degrees besides custom water cooling at that point.

You're not going to be able to "go buy better cooling" with just money you save on a 290X. Unless you mean buying more fans. Which won't help with silence.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

you can easily go buy a nicer case with better airflow though. While the fractal is good, it is far from the best..

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

List is good. To take it even further, maybe pick up an NZXT Kraken G10 and an X40 cooler, and use your rear NF-A14 as a fan for the X40.

The current cooling setup is fine. You always want more intake than exhaust, and the minimum setup for that is 2 intake, 1 exhaust, which is what you have (H100i is high FPI, so it won't be a major source of exhaust even though it will cool well). Having that minimum is going to give you the lowest possible noise levels you can have while giving you your basic airflow needs.

Also, depending on how much you value the window vs. silence, the non-windowed version of the Define R4 will be quieter than the windowed version, as the non-windowed version is able to have sound dampening material on the entire side panel instead of just around a window.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube