add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worth of upgrading this pc's graphic card?

hexton
  • 72 months ago

Hello!

I was wondering if it's "worth" upgrading this package PC's components, mainly just the graphic card and power core. I was thinking about investing roughly $300-400 on this. I was being suggested with GTX 760 and that requires a 500W power core at least (going for 600 myself). With these two being upgraded do I need to upgrade anything else? Can my other computer components hold up with these two only being replaced and upgraded?

Here's all of the info about my pc atm:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03635949-15%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5330783&ac.admitted=1402426565183.876444892.492883150

And don't forget to suggest components. I want to boost my computers graphics to play new coming games inc. graphical beasts like Batman Arkham Knight etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

A good choice would be the low power consumption GTX 750 Ti. It's extremely power efficient and also strong enough to max out most games on medium.

To see how it performs, here's a video that shows it paired with an i3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pXorOZ3MQ

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

While normally I'd be with you in recommending a GTX 780 or r9 280X. in this case I can't do so, the reason being his motherboard only supports certain dual core CPUs the highest being an i3 3xxxK series. Which means with a higher end card his processor would be a major bottleneck. I would at max go with either a GTX 660ti or r9 270x though the 270 is the faster card.

I do agree about the power supply though, as the ones in prebuilt PCs are usually very low end, low wattage with split rails that can't handle a mid to high midrange GPU. Personally I'd suggest upgrading to a 750 watt PSU with a single 12v rail.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of the small space of this hp case, but i am quite sure nowadays components are quite small and should fit into that but as you said the heating might be a problem, especially when it collects alot of dust already and stucks the air vents. Changing case is an option too. As long as it doesnt get too expensive.

But the real question can the processor and motherboard handle ex. GTX760? If not, whats the best it can handle? And by handling i mean that it doesnt overheat or break right after week of use and last for at least year or two more. Power supply is weak right now and needs to be upgraded if i upgrade the graphic card.

The thing is that I am doing fine with this cpu and debating if i should try to make it better graphic and performance wise for $400 or less, otherwise ima just walk to nearest store and buy ps4 for the same amount. Im not planning building a whole new cpu, but looks like it aint worth trying to make this one better. Ps4 aint a high tier cpu but in this case looks like it would serve longer than this cpu with new components.

But id give a shot for the upgrade even though it might break the whole pile of ****. How big of a risk id be taking? Money doesnt grow on trees for me. So if i can get this upgrade to work for multiple years for less than $400 id do it. I think its an risk and reward situation, but i dont want to lose the money in a month or two.

After year or two or when this cpu calls quit, im totally building my own cpu from scratch.

Thanks for the other replies also. So if 750 Ti has low power consumption, would it work (along with new PSU) with the other crappy parts?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, noticed that while going through reviews. The more I think, these cards might not even fit this computer case. Well I think have to take advice from a guy that has experience. Maybe I'll start building whole new system and work with it as a project. Skip that ps4 and invest $300 more for a decent gaming computer at $700'ish price tag doesnt sound like a bad plan (especially if I get a decent job and can invest that $200 a month on a new part) but then again.. This PC which I have right now is like a year old and works fine for the use that I am using it for.

There's some games I wish I could play with higher graphics that aren't for consoles (ex. mobas), stream them and then there's games that look horrible without good graphics, and since this computer cant handle max graphics the experience isn't the greatest.

And building a computer sounds like a fun hobby, I am interested of building one at the moment, but sounds really stupid to go for new computer since I got this one last year.

Just for my little interest, what are the best Processor, Motherboard and Video card that I could fit together into build that would be around at max $700 (along with other parts of course)?

I read good reviews from that R9 270x, cheap and effective. If I'd buy that, how much the rest of the parts would cost (which would support that video card ofc).

Thanks for your advice, you lightened up my thoughts even more. It's not worth upgrading this one.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest it isn't really "mine", it was bought for me since my last computer called it quits so I could use it for studies and work. It was supposed to be little above average computer and was about $600'ish if I remember correctly. Bad bought when you think about it now but it has served really well and I thought it was really good computer until now. :D

Now when I think about it more, I should've built own computer year ago. I wasnt really interested gaming with PC back then but now I just dont want any more of these consoles if they're not necessary. Plus you can upgrade computer year after year with new parts, you have to wait for new console for at least 4 years, usually more.

My monitor is 23' full HD Samsung so at least I got that one going for me, which is nice.

I'll see what kinda build I can come up with, I'm not professional and don't know if the parts are compatible with others but I guess I can get help with that. Building it isn't a problem.

Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube