add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
--michael--
  • 72 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/--michael--/saved/wqWfrH

this is my current build to get the system up and running. the only thing i am debating at this point is the motherboard because of the price compared to others. i do want something that can be expanded on and work well with the rest of the system. any suggestions?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So what I understand is you are going to upgrade the memory and add a HDD? Well, the motherboard is pretty good, if that's what you are asking...

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

i was asking if their is a motherboard that could do the same job i want the sabertooth to do but without the big price tag

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

oh, well i apologize for the vagueness and any abundance of ignorance lol. i want a reliable motherboard with plenty of space to upgrade for a gaming PC

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

as far as the specifics for the board, i do lean more toward asus than any other but open to anything. was looking at the MAXIMUX VII HERO as well.

the budget for this build isnt set in stone. if the price can be lowed, im all ears.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This will be a very strong gaming build for a good while. It has a lot of upgrade potential as well.

The Hero VII is a nice board, you'll be happy with it but you don't need it for gaming.

You don't need to go as expensive on the CPU cooler as I did. There are plenty of good ones to choose from, both air and water. There've been no tests on that processor and it's cooling is speculative for a couple more weeks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $64.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $142.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $72.00 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $88.97 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card $469.99 @ Micro Center
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1550.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-11 10:11 EDT-0400
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

as far as upgrades in mind, i do plan on adding the hard drive to go with the solid state, extra RAM, another video card down the road, and any unseen piece that may need to be added.

long term, what i want the system to do is play high quality games(obviously) and be able to create them at the same time.

for now, i think what im really hung up on is which CPU and video cards i should get. they are the biggest price tags out of this. got a while before money comes in to get either so i guess thing to do is to keep looking at other builds and what works.

Appreciate all the advice and suggestions so far -^

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube