add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quick Question About Power Supplies

RedOmen
  • 70 months ago

So I'm trying to get my parts together and I was planning on getting the EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. I know that it has more wattage than I could ever need but it was the only one that I could find that was highly rated in efficiency, durability, and reliability (i.e. not smoking, "exploding", failing, etc.). My question is, if my to-be machine (hypothetically) only uses 500watts, will the PSU ONLY use 500watts, or will I always be using 850watts. I only ask this because I have concerns about the electric bill. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

No, you won't always be taking 850w from the wall. Say your system is using 100w at idle. Regardless of whether it's a 500w, a 1000w, or a 1500w, it will only 100w draw from the wall. Of course, less efficient PSUs will draw a little more power, but the one you're looking at is 80+ gold, so that isn't an issue.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank-you all for answering my question, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 2 points

A system uses 500W, it uses 500W. It's not going to use more than 500W. The greater wattage draw is at the wall, like you said. That changes nothing about the system draw at the other end of the PSU.

A 500W system on an 80% efficient PSU will draw 625W from the wall. But that doesn't mean you need a 650W PSU. The wattage of a PSU is how much it's able to deliver to the system, not draw from the wall.

I was not the one who downvoted you btw.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Everything but the first sentence I think

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 2 points

That downvote is actually bothering me for some reason O_o Gonna up you..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube