add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thoughts on my build? Haven't built since the first dual core CPUs came out!

Mattkovy
  • 72 months ago

What do you think? Any weird mismatches or bottlenecks you can see? Any other suggestions?

(I'm not an overclocker, hence the i7-4790)

Thanks so much!

• Matt

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mattkovy/saved/36x2FT

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What wiil you be using it for? Gaming, 3d rendering or what?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply!

Gaming, general use, office work.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see why you would need a Z97 motherboard. You may be able to save some money and get an H97 motherboard. Also, any reason you are getting an aftermarket cooler with a non-overclocked build? If it's for quietness, personally, I have a stock CPU cooler in my pc build and I think it may be generally the loudest thing in there that I know of (I could have just been unlucky though, I believe the sound is more tolerable at certain moments). You may not need such a costly CPU cooler though.

EDIT: Also, be careful which Windows 8.1 you buy. The licenses are different between OEM and Full for that OS.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Z97 - I like the onboard audio for the Z97 (I'm a musician and music teacher). Plus then it helps to future-proof the build a bit. For instance, if I decide to want to play a newer game on high settings which needs more GPA oomph I could but another 770 and SLI it, which I couldn't do with the H97).

Cooler - Quietness is a factor (musician), also that I've heard the stock cooler with the stock thermal compound can cause the I7 4790 to run hot, with some users reporting thermal throttling. (With that specific CPU)

I accidentally clicked the OEM version - I have the full version in my cart. :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You would benefit more from an audio add in board then a better soldered in audio codec

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Any suggestions on a board?

I'm not doing much audio production or anything, the Z97 was just the motherboard which met my minimum requirements for SNR, etc, plus 7.1, so it's sort of a perfect fit without needing to buy a sound card at this time.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, in that case then carry on. Audio is not really my speciality but the codec their using is one of the higher end ones.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with MiniFridge, you don't need an aftermarket cooler unless you plan to overclock. And why 16 GB of ram. You can get gtx 750 cheaper than that and a 600w PSU shall suffice.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/32CrYJ

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Heya! Check out my above reply.

RE: RAM - it wasn't a large price increases to go from 8 to 16, and it was within my budget. Can never have too much ram. :)

Also, the 750W gives me some expandability - plus it's on sale at Amazon where I'm actually going to buy it. [I have a large credit line there with a long-term no - Apr offer]

Thanks again guys!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, that GTX 770 I picked is partially in there because I know it can fit in the mid - tower case I'm getting. (I found someone online that uses the two together.

The PNC one you suggested is a bit longer, so II might run the risk of a fitting problem.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not this instead?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $304.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $125.99 @ Amazon
Memory Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.92 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card $504.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Headphones Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 7.1 Channel Headset $84.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1700.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 08:00 EDT-0400
  • A cheaper Z97
  • You won't need 16GB for gaming, 8GB is fine
  • Cheaper SSD that actually perform better
  • Cheaper HDD, you won't benefit noticeable speed from the Black Series
  • Stronger GPU, have no doubt in the Manufacturer
  • A Gold rated PSU
  • And a headset that doesn't hurts you when you wear it.
  • Side note: OEM are for system builders, you'll be fine using one.
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thanks ill be taking at least some of your advice :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube