add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
sanjsrik
  • 72 months ago

I have a build that I just got a good amount of feedback on which the base price is between $910-950.

However, I priced out a Dell XPS 8700 and with all the discounts, came out to $738 (including shipping, of course, this is because of an employee discount).

Would anyone recommend buying a built machine from Dell over building it myself?

The pros are included in the Dell price is a 2-year extended warranty and accidental warranty, building it myself has none of this. I get tech support in case something doesn't work right I get to build it myself It's cheaper.

Cons are it's Dell.

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Apologies to moderators if this is not the forum for this topic.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest; Making your own computer will beat pre-made companies 10 times out of 10; making it yourself saves you money, you also know what to upgrade and your machines ability; however pre built computers have very little upgrade potential and it can also mean that there is no GPU and you're stuck with integrated graphics. If you're lucky.

Go for your own machine!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reasoned advice. I hadn't thought of it that way.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

the only prebuilt pcs i've seen that aren't junk come from www.digitalstormonline.com

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Build without a doubt, premade computers are junk.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube