add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First timer here. Need your opinions and help.

Azmo_
  • 72 months ago

Hi everyone,

I've been playing games and basically doing all my computer stuff on Macbook Pro for the past 4 years. I always said to myself that I would buy a real gaming computer when I would be finish with school and had a stable job. So here I am. I've spent a little bit of time gathering information on computers (SDD, mechanical keyboard, overclocking, building your own computer, etc.) but I'm still really new to all this and I need your help.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Azmo_/saved/Qhx2FT

I chose these parts mostly based on a combination of highest reviews and price. I was initially planing on spending around 1200$-1300$ but it ended around 1500$. I need help in finding the most efficient way to lower the price around 1200-1300 without losing to much in terms of performance. For now I mostly play Dota 2, CS:GO with my friends, but I would like to be able to play more demanding games in the future at decent settings.

Thank you very much for your time.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sir, let me welcome you with a greeting hand away from all things Apple. "Come with me young one..."

Serious mode: Things like mechanical keyboard and super fast laser mice are not necessary in my opinion, unless you're looking to go all out.

Knock off the expensive keyboard and you save yourself ~$60. All keyboards function the same, unless you plan on making full use of the macro keys in all applications.

As for the SSD and HDD, good pick.

RAM - If you're interested in OC'n which appears to be the case seeing as you picked the 4670k, you might be interested in AMDs R9 Gamer series. Available to OC up to 2400MHz with a lifetime warranty.

CPU Cooler saves yourself ~$50 by using the CM 212 Evo. Unless you plan on doing major OC'n, this thing will handle your use.

PSU - 80+ Gold seems a bit overkill. You can get the same quality and service from a Corsair CX500M and save yourself ~$40.

As for the monitor, I advise going down to max 22". It'll be cheaper, and personally, 22" is plenty big, anything above that seems overkill.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KFJwkL

This is what I could come up with. Hope my input helps you some. Best of luck!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks alot! I'm not sure if I want to overclock yet. If I don't overclock, is this build worth it? I don't want to buy something more powerful then I need.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I do believe that you'd have an exceptional PC. If anything, I'd prefer an i7 over an i5 if I'm going to invest that kind of money simply because at that point you will have an all-around amazing PC. An i7 supports hyper-threading where an i5 does not. This means that your i7 now acts as if it has 8 cores opposed to 4. This is well worth the extra ~125 you add in price.

Intel is actually releasing the 4790k on 06/25/14 so if it's something you'd be willing to invest in, I'd suggest waiting and picking one of those up.

Edit: Price of i7 over i5.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube