add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Review My Build - First Gaming Rig!

stopher99
  • 72 months ago

Hey everyone, stopher99 here! I created a computer build, designed for gaming and video editing (hence multiple monitors) so I would really like some feedback, like ways I can improve the build. I want to keep it $4000 or under, so if you have suggestions, no $2000 parts please ;)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link to my build XD http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgbkgs

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

At that price just get the most expensive thing in each category.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Um.... I can't tell if you're kidding or not :P.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I'm not kidding. I have a cr*ppy computer, and I have some money at my disposal.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright then :P

Well to start off, i would really love to see you try to fit a EVO on top of another EVO. CPU will only need 1 cooler, and with your budget, PLEASE go with a closed loop water solution. EX: Corsair H100i, NZXT Kraken x60, etc. If you do plan to stick with a air cooler with a heatsink, go with a Noctua D14 or D15.

You won't need thermal paste, but might as well have it. Though, 1 tube is enough.

As for the motherboard, i would change it to a ROG but thats my personal preference. If you want to stick with Sabertooth, go with the Z97 version.

Okay, i understand you have $4000 to spend... but really you won't need 32Gbs of RAM. Yes, it would help you in your video editing and such, but i think 16Gbs is enough. Though again, if you wish to have 32Gbs, go ahead.

I would switch the SSD to a Samsung EVO drive. For the HDDs, go with Western Digital Black drives. Better for performance and such. And consider only getting 1 4TB drive. You can always upgrade in the future, and prices will go down with the new technology coming out.

So your gonna build a $4000 system, and not gonna have SLI? C'mon man... add another 780ti _^. I would do this if i was to build a system with that much of a budget, but many would disagree saying that 2 780tis could just be pointless. True that it doesn't provide that much of a performance boost, but i would still do it.

Case is up to you, but i would go with a different one. Not that anything is wrong with it, but for a build of this price point, it has to look like a beast. The case you choose should provide sufficent airflow and have compatibility with water cooling if you choose to do so.

860w PSU should be enough for the system you plan. But if you plan to run SLI, upgrading to a 1000w or 1100w would be advised. Trusted manufactors are: Corsair, NZXT, Coolermaster, EVGA,Seasonic(or XFX, just rebranded)

One optical drive should be enough.

Good luck fitting 6 200mm fans inside your case. The case that you chose doesn't house any 200mm holes for fan placement. The sizes are as following:

2 x 120mm top fans

1 x 120mm rear fan

1 x 120mm intake fan behind motherboard for CPU cooling (optional)

2 x 120mm internal intake fans (optional)

2 x 120mm front intake fans (optional)

2 x 120mm side panel fans to cool graphics cards (optional)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Question, do you actually use 32gb for video editing on the ram side? Also why 212 evos?

EDIT: Also 2 cd drives and a blu ray drive? 2 things of tim? This is all very weird

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, 32gb if I'm editing and playing at the same time. And I don't know what "EVO" is, that's why I'm asking for opinions.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

alright...gimme a few minutes here

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright here we go. So from the top criticisms of what you've got so far:

May as well up the cpu to the newer 4790k which is cooler and supposedly overclocks higher (though all the reviews I've seen seem to show it gets the same ocs).

You don't need 2 cpu coolers, a single one is fine. What's more at your budget you can get a better one than a 212 evo.

You don't need thermal paste as the coolers will come with it, and the difference between what they come with and the arctic silver will be a few degrees C TOPS.

The sabertooth is a decent board, but it is extremely expensive for the features it offers. Also better off to go for a z97 board for future support if you decide to switch to broadwell. Even if you don't, stick with z97 because the 4790k will work with it out of the box instead of needing a non haswell refresh cpu to update the bios.

The SSD is pretty pricey for what it is. You could get an evo or an m500 that's double the capacity for 20 bucks ish more.

The 4tb drives are expensive, like beyond being worth it expensive. For the price of those 2 4tb drives, you could get 3 3tb drives and end up with an extra tb of storage and some savings.

The NVIDIA cards are nice, but overpriced for the performance. For the price of a single 780 ti you can just about buy 2 AMD 290s which give you more performance and more vram. You'll see in the build I'll link in aminute that for less than you originally planned I fit 2 290x (a step up from the 290) while still being within the same range of your original build.

Your case is actually pretty limiting. It doesn't let you use water coolers, and has some bizarre fan support, not to mention being slightly outdated.

The powersupply is overpriced. Extremely overpriced. For less than that you can get an equally solid 1000w psu (albeit not platinum but that only will lower your power bill by a few bucks a year at most).

Those fans will not fit in the case at all.

Unless there is some software that you use that specifically doesn't work with windows 7, windows 8.1 is the way to go. The UI is EXACTLY the same (once you install something like start8 or another 3rd party start menu button enabler), better performance, and support for future versions of directx.

With all of that in mind, here's my suggested build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $104.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $153.00 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $165.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $165.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $106.00 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $504.99 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $504.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 V2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $59.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) $94.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $333.00 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $333.00 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $3492.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-11 22:41 EDT-0400

DOUBLE EDIT: do you really need all these optical drives? They're going to make it so you need a pricier motherboard. If you do then here http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xgaming7

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much! I pretty much just copied your design but swapped GPU's from yours to the 780 Ti's, and after that, JUST under my budget! Thanks for the amazing help!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. I will still stand beside the 290x being much better bang for buck than the 780 ti (even though I own a couple of the most expensive 780 tis out there).

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, well here's my 2 builds that I'll let you decide between. Only differences are Windows versions. Windows 7 Windows 8.1

Minus some of the case fans.

• 72 months ago
  • -2 points

Not a fan of double digit electricity bill increases from power hungry AMD gpu's, especially not sli. Pass.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Double digit? 290x consumes a whopping 50 watts more. Assuming you're consitently running your gpu 100% every day of the year and an average of 12 cents per kwh (us average) you'd be paying a grand total of 50 bucks a year. Considering most people only have their gpus on 100% load for a few HOURS a day (let's say 3 hours of gaming a day), that's 6.57 bucks a year more....big whoop. Or for 2 of them 13 bucks.

EDIT: What's more is that when gaming gpus rarely hit full TDP values (only on furmark does that normally happen), and take into account that even when gaming they aren't 100% on load and this number becomes considerably less.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Not too mention they amd run hotter=sooner equipment failure. You can save on buck on the up front cost and continue on the AMD campaign trail, still pass.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

You really just like to troll for trolling huh? If you knew anything about recent cards (because clearly your mindset is stuck with the original launch of the 2xx series), you'd know the card I recommended is cooler and quieter than any nvidia equivalent gpu you can buy that isn't under water.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So you call others that disagree with you a troll? Real mature dude.

"That much heat is not easy to dissipate coming off of a single heat source (GPU), and the only other 300W cards we’ve seen are not cards with impressive acoustics. Given where AMD was with Tahiti we’re in no way surprised that power consumption has gone up with the larger GPU, but there are consequences to be had for having this much power going through a single card. Not the least of which is the fact that AMD’s reference cooler can’t actually move 300W of heat at reasonable noise levels" http://anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube