add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build for a Gaming PC. Please leave any suggestions!

Yehcharn
  • 72 months ago

I have a power supply (700 watts, is that enough?) and optical drive. Max budget is $1000

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $99.99 @ Amazon
Memory Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ TigerDirect
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card $254.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill N600PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $24.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard $49.99 @ Mac Mall
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1003.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 02:25 EDT-0400

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

750w is recommended, but you are really close to that and are totally fine at 700w. The extra 50w won't break anything :P

That said, I know nothing about that ram... Others may, but to me it's an unknown variable. Just make sure you check reviews on it to ensure its good stuff.

This is not an over clocking configuration, so if you wanted to over clock later, get a z series board and k series cpu. If not, then your choices are fine. I only mentioned it in case you just didn't know.

Also in case you don't know... Make sure that your power supply has the proper cables to hook up the gpu. Some 280x cards require an 8pin and a 6 pin, others are slightly different. So check the requirements on that specific card and make sure your psu has what you need. (you didn't list your psu, so I'm not sure what you're working with)

Cheaper wifi cards exist, but that one is fine.

This system will play MOST games at the highest settings no problem. There's very few that you will need to change an option or 2 in to get running just right... VERY few, and minor changes. So basically, not a bad setup for the money.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

In case you need to calculate for future expansion or expect to make changes, for a calculator, click HERE

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube