add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Totally passive cooling build. Tired of 77 dB noise.

ponypuffprincess
  • 72 months ago

Opinions please. Just building good home desktop. Online video and teaching. Not much gaming. Lifespan of 7 years.

Case: Silverstone TJ08E CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.97 @ OutletPC) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 ( fan on standby for cooling ) 69.7 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (Already own it) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.98 @ SuperBiiz) Memory: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Best Buy) Video Card: Asus GeForce GT 630 2GB Video Card ($52.98 @ Newegg) Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon) Total: $772.88

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you hit "PCPartPicker/Reddit Markup" on the parts list and copy/paste the text into your post? Makes it a lot easier to read and help with.

Anyway, the build will probably be pretty quiet but I would have chosen a Noctua CPU cooler for silence. The CPU is a little pricey compared to the other parts of the build given that it's locked.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Hope this works. Getting used to this forum's layout. I'll look strongly at your suggestions.

Changed to RAM to 1600 as I'd rather have 1x8 and add a stick later as this MoBo only offer 2 slots for ram.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $218.97 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master V8 69.7 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler $54.98 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $120.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Micro Center
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card Asus GeForce GT 630 2GB Video Card $52.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $762.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 11:35 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You might want to upgrade the GPU. Just a little bit. Maybe to a 750ti, 265, or a 260x. In theory even with the upgrade in GPU you should be fine at 400 watts. A 750ti appears to use less power, but any of them should be fine.

I know they also sell more and more fanless power supplies; however, the PSU you have there is VERY GOOD, and in the case below should not make much noise.

Like another mentioned, noctua fans are the way to go for quiet systems.

About the case... Where is it? I'm planning to do a silent build soon and I plan to use a Define Mini. This case should help a lot. EDIT: Wasn't thinking. Didn't see it was an ITX build.

Last thing: Your motherboard has a Z97 chipset. You might as well use a K variant processor in case you want to overclock in the future. Example: 4670K or 4690K

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks much better. Thanks LeMonarque.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks WalkingGeek. I am using the Silverstone Temjin TJ08E so the PSU will emit heat right out the top. I'll see if Noctua has a 125x125x25 fan replacement for the Cooler Master V8. I do think I want to pull the graphics duty off the CPU and put it on a card. But the card that's listed is at the right price and power for me given I need a passive cooling GPU. Upgrades that are passive cooling just aren't being made below the $100 mark. I am considering the K variant. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube