add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best One yet?

tommy099431
  • 72 months ago

Hello, I need a good MotherBoard for a Intel Core i7 chip Im thinking of going with and also that will work with BF3/4, Minecraft and Lol! Anyone know a good one? If so please post below Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm going bonkers on this issue, too. I'm getting the i7 4970K in 3 weeks and still cannot make up my mind, and have gone full circle at least twice.

I've got it down (I think) to these:

MSI Z97 Gaming 7; Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 7; Asus Maximus VII Hero; and ASrock Z97 Extreme6

I can find pros & cons on all of them. For example, and in reverse order:

ASrock's board seems to have the most negative comments from users in the industry, making it seem not as viable. But there are some who people whose experience is tops and can say no wrong. It has 12K capacitors compared to the other boards only having 10K capacitors, gold-plated contacts on the RAM Dimm slots and one of the PCIe 2.0 slots, has Intel LAN vs Killer E2000, has the most, 10 6Gb/s SATA ports of any of the boards and is the only board, or company for that matter, to off Ultra M.2 Gen3 x4 (allowing Storage speeds up to 32Gb/s!) which demonstrates how future thinking and ground-breaking this company seems to be over their competition. The number of PCIe slots is enough for me, but it does have 2 less than the other 3 manufacturers. It costs the least, and is a pretty Blue vs Red. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157500&cm_re=asrock_z97_extreme6-_-13-157-500-_-Product

Asus' board is the most expensive ($50 more) and seems to have it altogether, all 4-pin fan headers, also uses Intel LAN, nice feature set in their BIOS, i.e. Keybot, Ram Disk, is one of two companies claiming constant 5 volt power to all the USB ports (the other is MSI). Negative? Since its debut their have been way too many negative experiences described by NewEgg users which makes me very uncomfortable. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125&cm_re=Asus_Maximus_Vii_hero-_-13-132-125-_-Product

Gigabyte is the only company having gold plated socket for the CPU, better built-in (not changeable) amped option for the on-board audio, and a legacy PCI connector (positive or negative depending on the user's past experience). Gigabyte has a great reputation in the industry. Negative is it uses the Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201 LAN.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128708&cm_re=Gigabyte_z97_Gaming_7-_-13-128-708-_-Product

Last, MSI whose board has gotten me excited at times. First the negatives: One peeve is the color scheme - the red colored heat sinks surrounding the CPU do not match the red color of the chipset (MSI logo) heat sink. Strange. Next, it does not have a DVI nor a VGA video port on-board which for me is important since I am not getting a GPU card for several months and one of my monitors must use one or the other, and they are both absent. It also uses the Qualcom Atheros Killer E2200 LAN rather than Intel's, and only has 2 PWM (4-pin) fan headers. You gotta be careful about how you set up your fans. Positives: Has a generally good sense of features at a fair price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130768&cm_re=MSI_Z97_Gaming_7-_-13-130-768-_-Product

I'm sure if I walk into Micro Center and start talking to one of the gurus, he'll point out some other boards I had never even considered. This is a tough call to make.

There's also a few other Gigabyte Z97 boards: Gaming GT, Gaming G1, and "UD5H".

I also looked at the only two of three Z97 EVGA boards in this price range and they looked awful.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha well this one guy reply to one of my post and he picked a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 for me, I looked into it, it fits 32gbs, 4 ram slots, Raid Support, Onboard video (Depends on CPU), CrossFire support and 6 Sata Ports, I think im going to use it! You might want to check it out

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Tommy, I was going for the same chip as you, but decided to go with the new i7 4790K (comes out in 3 weeks). But even with the 4770K, I was going to go with the also new, Z97 chipset.

I just looked at it (the Z97 version of that board), D3H, and it has 3 PCI slots, which is too many old, legacy slots. One might be okay, but not three.

But thanks for suggesting. I'm still open to new ideas. :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok Thanks

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Please tell us your exact CPU, for example, i7-4770K. Also, knowing the build list you want to go with may help too. It may be helpful, if say, you have two GPUs, but we get a motherboard that only supports one.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure im using a i7-4770k and here is my part list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4DCrYJ I haven't picked anything that would change the MotherBoard yet but the CPU

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It would probably be best to pick your motherboard closer to last, that way, if you want something, you don't have to go find a new motherboard that supports it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks! But im still looking for peoples suggestions!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube