add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Potential Build - Advice

MattBrigade
  • 72 months ago

Hey Everyone,

I am hoping to build a computer in the coming weeks. My first attempt was several years ago when I was a young teen and I bought a $300 TigerDirect combo pack. I failed and returned everything. I mostly blame my knowledge at the time. This time I have the funds and hopefully some more knowledge. I intend to use this rig for gaming (maybe a little bit of FRAPS/Streaming), and media entertainment.

I was trying to create an exceptional rig without breaking the bank. If you have any cost cutting opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, it is my understanding that the Z97 chip set motherboards are just rolling out. Would it be wiser to stick to Z87?

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qWprYJ

Thanks for all your input/recommendations!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

I can't see the Z97 being problematic considering the tried-and-trueness of its predecessors. Nothing wrong with being on the safe side though.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Cheaper and better performance:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $98.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $68.99 @ Amazon
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card $351.30 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $249.23 @ Amazon
Other Operating System - Windows 7 $25.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1275.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 23:25 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the SSD change. I just really assumed the Samsung because I've known that its been fairly popular amongst builders. Is there are reason for the massive power supply upgrade to 750? Or is it just because of the difference video card? And is that video card an upgrade compared to the 770?

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Power supply is for the video card yes, and also yes the video card is much more powerful than the 770 and gives you double the vram.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Taking other recommendations as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube