add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

/// Titan v2 /// Gaming PC /// Budget: $2.5k

lostInplace
  • 72 months ago

Hello! I am building a budget gaming PC build over the summer. As of now, my budget is about 2,500 dollars. I can go a little overboard, but keep in mind I want to keep it on that base price. I am looking to run BF4 on ultra, with a smooth FPS. PC Build Link

I have a few quick questions: Do you recommend buying extra fans, that don't come with the case? For this build, should I get a non-stock CPU cooler? Are all of my listed products reliable, and well preforming?

Also, please just give generally suggestions! All feedback is welcome. Don't worry, I won't bite. Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

~$2500 ... budget? nawww that's not a budget gaming PC haha!

Good build, all I'd say is stick an SSD in there. (feel like I've said that way too may times today). I can't stress enough how nice it is to have one.

As for fans/cooler - depends if you want to overclock. If you do, get a CPU cooler. I don't know much about water cooling so I can't help you there.

Case fans are handy, just get quiet ones because they can get irritating once you get a few in there. Take a look at Noctua fans.

Also I think $100 on a WiFi adapter is overkill, unless you're running 200 meg internet you'll be fine with a cheap-o one. Mine was ~$20 and I don't struggle to reach 65/66mbs on a 66 meg line.

Afterthought: recommendation for an SSD: Crucial M500 240GB - don't get 120, they're about half the write speed of 240GB generally, and you'll run out of space very quickly. Don't overfill it, never go much above 80%. EDIT: Crucial should sponsor me LOL.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks. What is a good wifi adapter that is not basically a thumb stick? Thanks!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

are you trying for some kind of color scheme? If you have this kind of money I think it's worth investing in... Let me know.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I see you have the last gen sniper, good man (I have the step up from it the Sniper 5, and I love it). I'm guessing because you have that motherboard that you like the color, so I put this together assuming that's the case. The fact is that for 30 bucks less than you're paying per gpu, you could get 2 290x which will smoke the 780s. The other big thing I wanted to say was that I would under no circumstances get a 27 inch 1080p monitor. The pixel density is really low as a result, so things will look...pixellated. Either I'd drop down to the 24 inch one they've got, or get a 1440p 28 inch monitor (which I did for this build). I also agree with Mylesrawr in that an SSD would be a good idea. Anyway here's my suggestion

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $319.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $100.00 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.SNIPER Z5S ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $133.49 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.97 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $469.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $469.99 @ NCIX US
Case Thermaltake Urban T31 Window ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $14.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $95.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor $369.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $16.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Aerocool DS 120mm White 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan $18.98 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard -
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse $51.08 @ Amazon
Headphones Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 7.1 Channel Headset $84.99 @ Amazon
Other NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller $32.99
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2616.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-14 05:48 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of FPS on what kind of settings on what kind of games (lol) can you pull of with your build?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is a benchmark showing 2 of these exact cards overclocked and stock source.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, does the build above (the one you showed me) support three monitors? Sorry, I am a bit of a PC building newbie.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You could definitely run 3 1080p monitors with this setup.

• 72 months ago
  • -1 points

290x also has insane amount more power consumption and if he's paying the bills that $30 he just saved goes away quite quickly if he's gaming a lot. And considering you really don't need more performance why bother?. Also I don't know of any green 290x's. + I would want a bigger psu for 2 290x's.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Insane amount more power consumption? The difference between a build using an EVGA 780TI and using an XFX DD is a whopping 2 WATTS. Proof. Even on benchmarking full load the highest potential is 50W. Even then though, when testing on AIDA64, 780TIs draw over 100W MORE power, while on 3dMark 290xs drew 70W more source. Conclusion? Do you research first.

A bigger power supply for two GPUs? There is nearly 200W of extra headroom in this build using a 1kw psu, meaning it would be running around near peak efficiency stock (80% full psu load), and even when overclocked would still have a minimum of 50W to spare. According to HardOCP, two of these exact cards overclocked in a full system (with a 3770k at 4.8ghz)draws 833 watts source.

Even if he doesn't need more performance, these cards cost less than his 780s.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

He's not using 780ti's he's using 780's mate... The 780ti's outperform the 290x's (albeit slightly) by that same proof and are also a lot more expensive. "Conclusion? Do you research first." What was the purpose of this comment? It just makes you look angry man. I'm sorry if my criticism seemed a little harsh, I'm not saying the 290x's are a bad card compared to the 280ti's bang-for-buck they're awesome. I'm not an Nvidia fan-boy I just think there's more to picking a card than performance and initial price.

As for the PSU I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with "50watts" to spare. You'll probably be okay with it so long as you're not overclocking. But like I said I would want a bigger PSU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

First I'll admit I made the mistake of looking at the 780TI instead of the 780, but the final conclusion doesn't change much. Let's do a thought experiment to show: Let's assume a person games two hours a day, so two hours a day they would be running the system at load (for the sake of simplicity, the real truth is that even gaming doesn't fully load a system, maybe 85% but never 100% which is why they run power consumption benchmarks using software like Unigine Heaven). The original 780 he chose under the same benchmark as I had linked consumes 434 watts (source) vs the 472 watts of the XFX I linked. That gives us a difference of 38 watts. Let's convert that into kWh using the formula kWh = W X hr / 1000, where 2 hours daily for a year (730) are at this false load (again it wouldn't be that high, but let's keep with it). I choose two hours because there will be days where they won't play at all and days where they do. Som 34w * 730hr / 1000 is 24.82 kWh.

According to the most recent EIA government reports on electrical consumption, the average residential household pays 12.26 cents per kWh (source). That means that picking the XFX 290x over an EVGA 780 ACX would yield a total of $3.04 in extra power bill charges per year. It would take 10 years of using the graphics card to make up the difference in pricing. In fact, you'd need to be playing 10 times more to make that difference pay off in a year. And then it isn't feasible, you're playing 20 hours a day.

So I do stand beside my statement, the power difference between them is negligible in the real world. Unless it was something ridiculous like 100W more (about 9 bucks a year more in power bills), you wouldn't end up making the difference before you probably upgraded the system.

As for the cushion that you are comfortable with. Let's take another look at some gaming load tests to see what they found? In fact, I linked it earlier but here it is again source. According to this, two of these cards along with a 3770k at 4.8ghz consumed 833 watts. That's a 167 watt cushion on a 1000w power supply. To kill a point before it can even be made, yes, the 4770k does have a higher TDP than the 3770k (84W vs 77W). It's a 7 watt difference though, hardly enough to kill off even 67 watts when overclocked. What's more, that extra power consumption doesn't go to the computing part of the CPU that's used when gaming, it was for the moving of voltage regulation on die. As a result, the actual power consumption between them is nearly identical source.

So yes, I'll stand beside my statement, I think you should do your research first before saying something like that. Yes, it does consumer more power without a doubt. But enough to make a real world difference? Absolutely not. And as we've already shown, it certainly doesn't have an impact on your power bill that's worth mentioning. As for the power supply not being sufficient, I already showed you earlier you've got a considerable amount of headroom.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Your calcs and estimations are not complete and grossly underestimated. But I did the calcs and I was wrong about a couple of things too.

this shows the power consumption for the 780 to be more around 200 Watts while the 290x is around 300. the 780 requires less than 2/3rds the power. I falsely assumed that it would be about 200 watts difference in sli and crossfire. You didn't even consider the fact there was 2 cards.

Never the less. You need to look at them in SLI. This is the only real data I can find on it and it shows about 110watts difference. This is the actual TDP of the cards. Which is well in favour of the 290X I was expecting it to be double that.

"if he's gaming a lot" 2 hours per day isn't a lot mate. I know I played way more than 730 hours total last year.

Then you're also forgetting to Factor in the efficiency of the power supply to find out how much it's drawing from the wall. Which we can assume is similar to corsairs model since EVGA don't have a power efficiency curve. From this we can guess the efficiency to be around 86% 1/0.86 = 1.163

So it's actually about a 127Watt Difference.

Now I had No idea how little you pay for electricity. I knew it was a little less for the states but seriously 12c? I personally pay 26.3c per kWh. so I would essentially pay 26.3 x 0.127 = 3.34c per hour.

Some days I game all day some days I don't game at all. A better way that just guessing blindly is to just look at my in game hours and see how much I played last year. Looking at the games I played in 2013 to the start of this year. I know I played about 200 hours of fallout 3, 300 hours of Skyrim, about 500 hours of tf2 + a number of other games which probably adds up to maybe ~400 hours conservatively estimating. so say about 1400 hours of gaming per year. Which is about 4 hours per day average.

3.34c/h = $0.0334/h 0.0334 x 1400 = $46/ year

If I had these cards for 4 years which is pretty reasonable that's an extra $187 Even with your prices if you game as much as me (and you damn well should be with a setup like this) you're paying $87.2 extra in price.

Maybe $57 isn't so much a deal breaker. But to better understand my original argument I thought this would be double the power consumption it is and double the price. Effectively 4 times as much. And that comes out to about $350 difference over it's lifespan.

As for the PSU I would still prefer to have a 1200watt PSU. 167 watt is 16.7% I prefer a min of 20%.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're spending that much on your computer why not spend an extra $10 and get some green ram to match your system colours?

If you're going to get an unlocked processor then you need a non-stock cooler and you really need to overclock it. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

The biggest problem with this build is you only have a single 1080p monitor... A single 780ti could slaughter any game you throw at it. Hell a 770 could do that. Get a bigger monitor more monitors (in the future if you want) or forget Sli.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I run 3 monitors at once with this build?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

yup.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

KK. Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube