add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
nathanbaker22
  • 72 months ago

So I am getting ready to finally pull the trigger and I wanted to see what everyone thought about this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c2WBhM build updated: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hjRYQ7

Things I have been debating... 1. Different Ram, Corsair 1600 and Overclocking it? 2. VII Hero MB instead of the Forumla 3. Video Card - I change this everyday it seems like. 4. Should I wait til the end of the month and get the new i7 that is unlocked? I think June 25th?

Things I am NOT debating... 1. I love the case. 2. These are the fans I want to run, I know I am getting 1 extra, but I don't want to pay almost the same price for just 1 fan and need one later. I can always put it in another machine.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Love the formula ( I have the same board) I would wait for the new i7 unlocked 4790k. Do you need 16gb of ram? I have 16gb of Corsair DOM PLAT and I haven't used more than 4.5gb of it (just saying) I have and will always go with an EVGA GPU.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thinking you are right with the new 4790k Chip. Just hate waiting.... But if the Hero has already gotten the VII upgrade, I wonder if the formula is getting an overhaul as well?

I don't "Need" 16GB of ram, usually I run 8GB, just was thinking about stepping it up for this machine. I don't plan on being able to do another build for 4-5 years due to wife/kids. Other than a video card or small things here and there.

I've always ran a EVGA as well... But these aftermarket ones are supposed to run a little faster and cooler? Plus I like the idea of having an Asus card to overclock on my Asus MB. Not that I have ever OC'd before...

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Then you know you can overclock the EVGA cards as well :) You know how I feel about the 16gb!! I've got um :) If you check on ASUS support for the formula VI we have a BIOS of 1504 that is in beta to support the new Devil's canyon (crossing my fingers) I will be buying the chip to test it out but I might have to read the reviews to see if it will be compatible with my mobo. I hope it is. I've flashed the BIOS to 1402 and that worked like a dream and was extrememly easy. Overclocking isn't hard at all. Just print out some info on it and start tacking away at numbs doing core volts and mulitpliers.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good, thanks for replying back again. =)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Because you aren't a novice builder, I'll be straightforward :P

I think that your motherboard is very very overpriced. I understand having a color scheme you want to follow, but this is literally 70% more in price than comparable motherboards for feature set. If the thermal armor on that board justifies the $100 premium, so be it.

Since you've clearly got a decent sized budget to throw around go ahead and keep the 16gb of ram, though I would say shave some of the cost off and get 1600mhz instead..

The power supply is way overpriced, for that kind of money you can get 1n equally reputable 1300W fully modular power supply. The platinum rating is nice, but all it's going to do is shave a few bucks off your electric build at most, not really worth the exorbitant premium.

The fans I really have to suggest against. Having owned an air 540 (you can check it out if you'd like, was featured by PCPP a while ago on their FB page), the AF series fans are really not that good. You'd be better served getting something like the scythe slipstreams, noiseblocker multiframes, or the new aerocool DS 120mm fans.

For the GPU you could get a 290x that outperforms that 780 by a considerable margin while providing you an extra gb of vram for around the same price. The sad truth (and I say sad because I love NVIDIA), is that team green is not worth the premium this generation. Last gen even though they were slightly weaker on performance, the 6 series had better driver support and no issues with microstutter compared to AMD. That since has changed.

With all that in mind:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $339.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $172.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $144.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.97 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.97 @ OutletPC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card $469.99 @ NCIX US
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case $119.99 @ TigerDirect
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Aerocool DS 120mm Red 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan $18.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Aerocool DS 140mm Red 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan $21.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $125.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Raptor M40 Wired Optical Mouse $27.99 @ NCIX US
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $2141.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 17:27 EDT-0400
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

PhantomTaco, thanks for such an in depth reply! I couldn't agree more with you on the motherboard. I don't ever plan on true liquid cooling as it is WAY overpriced for what you get. So that feature is worthless, I'm really just paying for the Wifi (If needed for LANS) and the Armor (Keeps board cooler, and looks awesome). But for the price point... Ugh, just keeps me leaning towards that VII Hero.

I am thinking strong on considering the RAM change. It really does seem like most everyone still runs 1600 and overclocks it or just uses it as is. RAM will not be the bottleneck of the system. It will be either CPU or GPU, and if I do lean to the I7, it will only be GPU for some time.

The Video Card option is HARD for me, do you have a tomshardware link or anything? I made the switch from Nvidia to Radeon a while back and I am really excited to get back to an Nvidia card again.

I will look into the PSU, as I felt it was overpriced, but I kept looking at peoples rigs and almost everyone was using that. So I don't know if it "USED" to be a good price point or combo item? I didn't see anything that made it amazing other than just being platinum.

Also, I'm going to look at these fans as soon as I am done typing this as I haven't seen them yet. All I am worried about is noise and that they look good. I'm sure my rig will be running plenty cool enough and I'm not going to be overclocking this thing into the ground.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

No worries, I like this stuff :P.

Honestly if I were in your boat on the motherboard, unless there is some killer feature or design you really like, I'd try to stay on the lower mid side of z97 mobo pricing just because the extra features aren't particularly useful. When I saw low to mid end I mean around 120-150ish. The rest of the money can be better spent elsewhere.

For the RAM, it's largely up to you and what you do on your system. If you normally use a lot of RAM (excluding gaming) then maybe 16gb is worth it for you. Otherwise, I believe 8gb is fine. Even when it comes to overclocking RAM it doesn't really improve system performance all that much.

The GPU is one thing I've been pushing lately. Even though I own 2 780TIs and am admittedly an NVIDIA fanboy, AMD really has hit the nail on the head for pricing to performance. For performance comparisons you can easily look around. My personal suggestion would be to go to the techpowerup GPU review database for the 290x and check out the most recent one available and compare it to the 780TI in their benchmarks to see how small a performance difference there is between them (something like 5% ish if I recall correctly). Given the 290x is literally almost 200 bucks (if not more) less than a 780TI, it just seems criminal to go with the NVIDIA option. To make matters worse for NVIDIA, with the AMD cards you get a wider memory bit bus (512 bit vs 384 bit) and an extra GB of VRAM.

For the PSU, a lot of people make the choices overly complicated. The general rule of thumb (for me at least) is to just get whatever is recommended by JonnyGuru or realhardtechX and go with that because no one who recommends here (or in most other places) is anywhere near as qualified as they are. For a decent comprehensive list of what is generally considered a quality power supply, you can check THIS list over on overclock.net, which is just a list of power supplies that were recommended by the aforementioned sites as well as a few others for validation.

The fans I've honestly been impressed with. I was super skeptical at first because AeroCool isn't normally a brand I think of for quality...well anything really. But the reviews out there have been saying they are absolutely fantastic. Take a look around for yourself and you can come to your own conclusions.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Phantom you are selling me on this 290x, but I really don't want one... =( I agree it is stupid to pay 200.00 more for 5% less, even 1% less...

I'm all about saving money, but I just don't see what else I would buy with that money if I had it. I am leaning more towards the Hero VII now and the Corsair 1600 RAM. It still has a great look and keeps my Asus/Corsair theme... Which wont mean as much if I go with that 290x. =D

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

In the end it's up to you, just wanted to give you the facts and my thoughts on it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I am here for, I have been looking for a month. It is now time to get people to talk some sense into me before I blow 2k on a computer. I think I keep trying to make it better than it needs to be because I know I don't get to upgrade again for like 4 years.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

So could I do this card as well? Then I can keep my Asus/Corsair Theme... Or should I stay away from it?

Card: ASUS R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5 Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121840&cm_re=asus_290x-_-14-121-840-_-Product

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated my build on this if anyone else wants to give any advice. Went Radeon on the card, changed the RAM, with with the VII Hero board instead. Still want all good ideas, so I can take in account everything that people think of. We have had some great discussions above, but always looking for more advice before building at the end of the month.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Tekillah, thanks for your comment. I use this CPU for home office work as well. I will be using SQL Databases on it as well as some other software that I think the I7 will pay off more for the price. I do plan on Overclocking it, even though I have never done it before.

16GB of ram I was doing to future proof the machine. As far as the 2400 speed, I was just going off of some other builds and high end combo's on this site. I realize I don't need more than 8GB for gaming and probably won't even years from now, but you never know. I shouldn't need it too much for SQL, but nice to have.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice, I am not a novice by any means. But I haven't built gaming PC in about 6 years. Mainly just servers these days. =D

Which is probably why I want to go with the higher end processors and RAM.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That build is missing one of my HDD Storage. Need 4TB total. Power supply will have to stay, do to me future proofing with SLI option.

Is this Video Card better?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube